Wok with YAN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookLikeJulia

Senior Cook
Who knows the cooking show " Wok with Yan? " It is a cooking show that
teaches Chinese cuisine. Does anyone heard of it before? I think it was in the early 90's but never heard of it then. :(

Yeah - I remember "Yan Can Cook". Around here it used to be on Public Television, but haven't seen it anywhere in awhile. When Public Television runs their sometimes-Saturday cooking lineup, Yan seems to have been replaced by Ming Tsai's "Simply Ming", which is "okay", but his dishes are mostly fusion & I'm rarely crazy about the combos.

I think "Wok with Yan" and "Yan Can Cook" are two different shows. I do remember them, though. As I recall, they were on PBS. My husband had VHS tapes of them from one or both of those shows from the 80s.

Yan Can Cook was one of the first shows I watched when I was growing up! I loved it! I remembered watching him in awe wishing I was not afraid to use the heat of a stove or open flame...of course I was very young and a respect for such things can be healthy. I'm a Yan fan for sure and not just for nostalgic reasons.

I remember Martin Yan, I'm pretty sure it was his cookbooks that I checked out of the library. I was in heaven knowing I could check out cookbooks, I wish now I had such restrant. Back to Yan, I watched both of his shows in the 80's on the old TLC channel, along with Justin Wilson.

I think "Wok with Yan" and "Yan Can Cook" are two different shows. I do remember them, though. As I recall, they were on PBS. My husband had VHS tapes of them from one or both of those shows from the 80s.
Margaux, you are right. "Wok with Yan" was done by Stephen Yan in Vancouver. His restaurant was about a half hour from our home in the outskirts of the city and we went there often. He was also a customer of my Dad's drug store. He was as hilarious in person as on his show. He made the best mushroom dish I have ever tasted - can't remember the name of it.

I loved his show.

I too have a few of Martin Yan's cookbooks but I didn't see much of his show.

Yep...I have very good memories of Wok with Yan....fun and informative, he gave me my first lessons in wok cooking and I still make my versions of a few of his recipes. I still catch an old show once in a while and wish I could watch them rather than some of todays shows!

I GUARANNNTEE!:)

Justin was always one of my favorites. I used to have an autographed copy of one of his cookbooks but it was destroyed in a flood. He was the genuine article.

Justin taught me how to play with my food, before I started watching him I followed recipes to a "T." I have a couple of his cookbooks, but none signed, I never had the pleasure. I would have enjoyed having a meal with him.

Oh yes! Justin Wilson was too cool! "A day without wine is a day without sunshine!". My husband met him in the Memphis airport years ago and he was nice as could be.

Who knows the cooking show " Wok with Yan? " It is a cooking show that
teaches Chinese cuisine. Does anyone heard of it before? I think it was in the early 90's but never heard of it then. :(

This was a great show. Stephen Yan was also funny. He had all sorts of wok puns ... woks up ... danger - men at wok ... you are wok you eat ... wok goes up must come down ... take a wok on the wild side.

The show was funny and informative. It ran for 15 years and ended just two years after the Food Network began operations in 1993.

oh man, i didn't remember stephen yan until you'd mentioned his expressions, dave, then it all came back.

great show.

Back
Top Bottom