Worst Cooks in America - A new cooking show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't worry about it. Now that it's over I don't think it's going to be on TV again except as a re-run. It's pretty much a one-shot concept.

If you saw the initial dishes these people cooked, it is simply amazing how far they have come in only 10 days! I really enjoyed this show!

I confess I did not watch a single episode of it, so I won't comment directly. Execution/production is one thing, but I think the premise has potential. Same way that "Biggest Loser" could have been an ugly and demeaning show, but it has been on the whole a show for good, not evil. Come to think of it... these DC Forums are something of the same. I might not be America's worst cook, but I've already written my share of dumb posts. I've been politely corrected, roundly berated, encouraged, praised, justly deleted once, etc. On the whole, DC is a site for good, not evil. I'll continue to log on, learn how to cook, entertain myself and others along the way toward my own "most improved prize." It'll take more than ten days though.

I agree with luvs. Apparently treating contestants badly on these competition shows it the in thing to do and I don't need to watch that.

The pro chefs were not treating the contestants badly a la Gordon Ramsey. True some of them cried, but it was because of the pressure they faced trying to make the dishes. I didn't see Beau or Anne making fun of anyone, and in fact Anne teared up when one of the chefs on her team had a meltdown. But in fact that woman that had the meltdown was one of the final 2 contestants, and got to cook for the judges. And I believe every contestant on the show gained confidence and will benefit from having participated.

This show was nothing like Hell's Kitchen, and it does seem that many reality shows these days (not just cooking one) thrive on the teacher blasting the student in some way.

I watched the whole thing.
They had 10 days to pare the 2 teams down to 1 person each, who then prepared a 3 course meal that was judged by Alex Guarnaschelli, Jeffery Steingarten and another woman whose name I forgot.
The judges weren't supposed to know that the "worst cooks" actually did the cooking, but while they critiqued the dishes in front of the teams, it was obvious they knew who cooked what.

During the critique, they gave the dessert 100% to contestant Jennie, thought her entree was a bit better, and gave the appetizer to Racheal.
Racheal and Beau beat Jennie and Anne Burrell.

Given the multiple times I've seen Alex let her personal opinions sway her judging on Chopped, I REALLY wonder what the outcome would have been it if had truly been blind judging.

I also believe that the editing was what maked the episodes look like the chefs were really tough on the contestants.....

Overall, not bad. I think there was a LOT of cram-course learning of basic cooking skills we didn't see, but the contestants consistently had problems following the recipes. Even when they still had them written on blackboards to consult.

I saw only couple of episodes. And some how I just do not believe that a really bad cook could be transformed into an "A" list chef just in 10 days.

I saw only couple of episodes. And some how I just do not believe that a really bad cook could be transformed into an "A" list chef just in 10 days.

I wouldn't call them A list chefs. They prepared a meal planned and coached by professional chefs.

hmm I guess to learn how to cook and get fame on tv. I think that teaching by intimidation is quite effective way to teach because that is how I learned how to cook, but when I teach people how to cook, I think its a lot better to be nice and friendly xD so people don't run away.

...I think that teaching by intimidation is quite effective way to teach because that is how I learned how to cook, but when I teach people how to cook, I think its a lot better to be nice and friendly xD so people don't run away.

Did you watch the show? What intimidation would that be? I saw nothing but encouragement.

Back
Top Bottom