"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Dehydrator Discussions

Old 03-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Best Dehydrator Recipes

My Excalibur food dehydrator will be delivered to my home tomorrow. The fist thing I will probably make is jerky. I am interested in making fruit roll ups as well.

What are some of your favorite dehydrator recipes you would like to share? Load me up because I plan on using this thing a lot.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Honey Badger

The first thing I learned is whatever you decide to incorporate into your dishes, do it in moderation. Some items can be overpowering. Mary Bell has a dehydrator cookbook. You can't go wrong with it. Dehydrator Cookbooks - Two Essential Books You Should Know About

Bacon does NOT dehydrate. Well technically it did..Yes I did it. Just couldn't bring myself to eat it. It's that disgusting. The dogs didn't get it either.

My guys love spiced nuts. Buying and shelling the nuts yourself saves a lot of money.

Spiced Nuts:
1 pound of nuts. Shelled
1/4 cup of water
1/4 cup of any chili sauce.
1/2 teaspoon of ground garlic
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
1 Tablespoon of chili powder
1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried cilantro
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt ( optional )

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Pour it over the nuts. Let them soak over night. No need to refrigerate it. In the morning drain the nuts, spread them onto the sheet. Set the dehydrator to 155. Give it about 2 to 4 hours or until dry and crispy. Drying times will vary depending on what type of nuts you use. I usually do peanuts. They take less time. The recipe is used with my own dried spices. Garlic,onions cilantro, oregano. A little goes a long way. Adjust it to suit yourself.

Enjoy!
Munky.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Awesome, thanks Chef Munky! Those spiced nuts sound like fun. I never would have guessed you could put nuts in a dehydrator. Great idea.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
Honey Badger

GB?
Jerky done yet?

Munky.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

OK I Lied. Jerky will the the second or third thing I make

Last night I made apple and pear rings. I used Two different types of apples (Granny Smith and Jazz) and Bartlett pears. They all came out great. I set it up once I got home last night (around 9ish) and when I woke up this morning they were done. The kids LOVED both and are very excited to do more. DD requested strawberries and blueberries next. I have heard blueberries can be challenging, but it will be fun to try.

So tonight I will do strawberries at the very least and I will slice and marinate my beef for jerky to be made tomorrow.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
Head Chef

Not quite recipes, but I constantly dehydrate chopped onions, celery pieces (especially the leaves), tomato slices, banana slices, and zucchini slices.

Some of the onions I grind down and make onion powder for my spice rack; the same for celery; and even the tomatoes can go down to a powder.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

What a great idea about the celery leaves. I probably would not have thought to use those. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Dry tomato. You can save lots of money by not having to buy sun dried tomato.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks sschroeder, and welcome to the site! I have been drying tomatoes in my oven for years so using the dehydrator will be great for me as I am already used to doing those. I eat them like chips. I can't wait to get my garden going this year so I have a lot of tomatoes to work with.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #10
Honey Badger

Sun Flower Seeds

Did this last summer with a few sunflowers that I grew. They were just awesome. My Cockatiel woo hooed me all day. He's fresh like that. Great project for kids ( growing, measure their height as it grows ) then drying them.
It's ready to cut off the stalk when they center flower turns brown, and the back of it is a yellowish color.

Cut off the entire head. Place the flower head into the dehydrator upside down. Set it at 120 degrees. It will take just a few hours to dry. The seeds will drop out on their own. You can check on it while it's drying and shake a few stubborn ones out. Or rub them out with your thumb. If they are too stubborn give it a while longer.

To season the seeds soak them over night in salted water. Drain. Don't rinse. Lay them flat of the dehydrator sheet. Set it at 200 degrees. It only took about 3 hours to completely dry. I didn't bother storing them, knew better. They were gone that night.

Munky.