Best Dehydrator Uses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have dehydrated many foods, but the ones I actually used have been celery leaves, garlic in the form of slices, nuggets and powder, and seckle pears, the small dessert pears. I use the celery leaves in the winter for flavoring and the garlic goes into most anything.

One thing I keep saying I'm going to get around to trying is making a veggie drink powder (like V8)
Dehydrate various vegetables, then process into a powder. Add the powders to water to make a drink - Tomato, carrot, onion, spinach, celery, beets, etc.

I picked the last of my jalapenos from the garden. It came to about 12#. I smoked them on my BGE for a few hours with pecan wood and then into the deydrator for a few days. I normally grind them with other spices for chili powder and sometimes rehydrate for sauces and mexican food. The smokey/chipotle smell from the deyhdratator is worth the effort!

PunkHippie I like that idea, did you ever try it? I've done kale and crumbled into flakes for adding to smoothies.

I also recently tried pumpkin leathers. Puréed pumpkin, maple syrup, fresh nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice, chopped walnuts. Pretty good stuff.

I just finished dehydrating 5 trays of cooked pinto beans, then vacuum sealed for continued storage. Dehydrated beans are great for soup mixes and even just snacking on.

The dry beans in bags were already over 7 years old and questionable how much longer they would last before getting too old to cook. Soaked them overnight and then pressure cooked for a few minutes before going into the dehydrator. Results were excellent and I will be doing more old beans this way.

I just finished dehydrating 5 trays of cooked pinto beans, then vacuum sealed for continued storage. Dehydrated beans are great for soup mixes and even just snacking on.

The dry beans in bags were already over 7 years old and questionable how much longer they would last before getting too old to cook. Soaked them overnight and then pressure cooked for a few minutes before going into the dehydrator. Results were excellent and I will be doing more old beans this way.

This sounds interesting, would never have thought of dehydrating old beans, McNerd!

Me either until recently. Now it joins dehydrated cooked rice as a staple in my prep pantry. It's also a good way to preserve store-bought canned foods that are damaged or opened and not fully used. Toss in the dehydrator. Saves a lot of waste.

I dried celery, onion and mushrooms (yawn) this week and was very pleased with how they turned out. Next is carrots and peas, to add to the soup mix, and then another batch of onions and celery but this time adding bell peppers. After that I'll dry herbs that I'm picking from the Aerogarden. They aren't quite ready yet but I hope in another few weeks they will be.

Back
Top Bottom