"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Dehydrator Discussions

Old 03-05-2011, 02:59 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Crisp and leathery?

I was just looking online for directions on how to dry fruit and veggies. I found several directions that said something like "dry the fruit until it is crisp and leathery". Huh? To me that is like saying "wait until the water is hot and cold". How can fruit be both crisp and leathery?

Old 03-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Senior Cook

You are right that would be hard to do get your fruit and veggies both crisp and leathery. Depending on what you want. If you are making a fruit roll up like item or fruit leather then you are drying a blended mixture to a dry leather. Mostly used for a snacking. If you want your fruit and veggies dried for storing I would dry until crisp. I know mine are dry when they sound like plastic poker chips when they are dropped on the counter. Dry yours depending on how you want to use them.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
Head Chef

If you are interested in dehydrating a variety of produce, I recommend getting the book "Mary Belle's Complete DEHYDRATOR Cookbook". It's one of the best on the subject.