"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Dehydrator Discussions

Old 07-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Head Chef

Dehydrated garlic

I finally sorted out the good from the bad garlic from last year (since this year's crop is curing in the garage).

I ended up with 8-10 cups of cloves.

I wanted to dehydrate garlic and everyone recommends doing that outside because of the concentrated garlic smell (same with onions).

My micro/convection oven that I dehydrate in doesn't seem to do well in the sun. I put it outside last year and it was months before the LCD/LED whatever lights and the panel it is on worked well again. So this year, Trapper built a cabinet for it to keep it out of the sun when it's outside, with a partially open back for ventilation, and the bottom can be used for storage. The top is tiled and can be used to set the food on or any food preparations as needed.

I just popped the 8-10 cups of processed (slightly ground up in the food processor) garlic onto a plastic covered mesh sheet that fits the micro/convection oven. I'm guessing it will take a good 8-9 hours.

Then I'll have to grind it to powder in the spice grinder. Estimates I've read say 5 lbs of garlic yield 1 lb powdered garlic. I'll guess I will get less than that, I doubt it was 5 lbs of garlic. It will be nice to have some garlic powder in the house and maybe some garlic salt for gifts.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I finally sorted out the good from the bad garlic from last year (since this year's crop is curing in the garage).

I ended up with 8-10 cups of cloves.

I wanted to dehydrate garlic and everyone recommends doing that outside because of the concentrated garlic smell (same with onions).

My micro/convection oven that I dehydrate in doesn't seem to do well in the sun. I put it outside last year and it was months before the LCD/LED whatever lights and the panel it is on worked well again. So this year, Trapper built a cabinet for it to keep it out of the sun when it's outside, with a partially open back for ventilation, and the bottom can be used for storage. The top is tiled and can be used to set the food on or any food preparations as needed.

I just popped the 8-10 cups of processed (slightly ground up in the food processor) garlic onto a plastic covered mesh sheet that fits the micro/convection oven. I'm guessing it will take a good 8-9 hours.

Then I'll have to grind it to powder in the spice grinder. Estimates I've read say 5 lbs of garlic yield 1 lb powdered garlic. I'll guess I will get less than that, I doubt it was 5 lbs of garlic. It will be nice to have some garlic powder in the house and maybe some garlic salt for gifts.
Hiya Bliss,

The concentrated smells that come from onions and garlic are brief. I'm one of those that likes the fresh smell of garlic. Opening a window helps if it gets that bad. It never has been over powering to the point it's ran me out of the room. If you can take one day, it's easy street from there on.

Depending on what type of garlic your drying, Elephant garlic will perish more quickly then the ordinary garlic. If my memory is correct the water content before drying is in the 60% range.

You can always dry the cloves in your micro/convection oven. Take the cloves, unwrap the paper then cut the cloves in half. Set them on the mesh trays. Not sure how low the temp on yours will go. I'd start it out at the lowest temp possible. That will keep them from over browning, burning. I've done it that way. Stopped when the sliced cloves were crisp.
Stored them when cool in flavor sealed bags.

If your going to spoil your friends, You so nice like that!
Here's a link for some containers. Spice Jars | U.S. Plastic Corp.

Munky.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Hiya Bliss,

The concentrated smells that come from onions and garlic are brief. I'm one of those that likes the fresh smell of garlic. Opening a window helps if it gets that bad. It never has been over powering to the point it's ran me out of the room. If you can take one day, it's easy street from there on.

Depending on what type of garlic your drying, Elephant garlic will perish more quickly then the ordinary garlic. If my memory is correct the water content before drying is in the 60% range.

You can always dry the cloves in your micro/convection oven. Take the cloves, unwrap the paper then cut the cloves in half. Set them on the mesh trays. Not sure how low the temp on yours will go. I'd start it out at the lowest temp possible. That will keep them from over browning, burning. I've done it that way. Stopped when the sliced cloves were crisp.
Stored them when cool in flavor sealed bags.

If your going to spoil your friends, You so nice like that!
Here's a link for some containers. Spice Jars | U.S. Plastic Corp.

Munky.
Munky,
I JUST finished putting the ground garlic in 2 jars. (8-10 cups of cloves = ~1 and 1/2 cups.) It took about 30 minutes in the food processor to get a good powder. If I get motivated, I'll take pictures of it, it's a nice light beige color, not perfectly white. Thank you for the suggestions.

My micro/convect automatically dehydrates at 140 degrees F.
This was soft neck variety garlic.

I hear elephant garlic is not a true garlic, more like an onion that is slightly garlicy. It's considered a weed, that is something I didn't know.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Is it better than store bought? And if so in what way?
Old 07-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
Head Chef

Is it better than store bought? I don't know, is store bought from China, are their heavy metals in it, are there added ingredients, has there been a recall on it and how much will it cost?

I grow the garlic, so now, there is no investment for seed, the gardens take care of themselves after planting until harvest for the most part. I already invested in a dehydrator, food processor, so no additional costs there.

Best of all, I know what is in the garlic powder.

Your thoughts?
Old 07-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Executive Chef

From what I can tell in Los Angeles stores all our garlic comes from China anyway, unless we grow our own.

I plant my aged garlic that is starting to get green in the middle. A clove today, a head in several months, costing only water.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
Head Chef

Hi Greg, I think they grow garlic in California. And they have the: Gilroy Garlic Festival | July 27th, 28th & 29th | 34th Annual 1979-2012 Home Gilroy Garlic Festival | July 27th, 28th & 29th | 34th Annual 1979-2012
And we grow garlic in WI, I bet there is a lot of domestic garlic available, just not at Walmart.
Lots of people from different states, provinces and even in the UK, possibly Australia grow garlic, check around if you can.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #8
Executive Chef

They do grow garlic in Gilroy CA but much of our garlic even in CA still comes from China. Go figure...

Or answer me this? Garlic, 5 heads for $1 at my Asian market (every day price), or 2 or 3 for a dollar at Albertson's Market or Ralphs Market. Which would you pick?

Before you answer, the garlic at the Asian market looks better, is fresher, and the heads are bigger. And the Albertson's or Ralphs garlic might come from China anyway.

Heck if I lived near Gilroy I'd just drive over and buy it there.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
They do grow garlic in Gilroy CA but much of our garlic even in CA still comes from China. Go figure...

Or answer me this? Garlic, 5 heads for $1 at my Asian market (every day price), or 2 or 3 for a dollar at Albertson's Market or Ralphs Market. Which would you pick?

Before you answer, the garlic at the Asian market looks better, is fresher, and the heads are bigger. And the Albertson's or Ralphs garlic might come from China anyway.

Heck if I lived near Gilroy I'd just drive over and buy it there.
I grow at least 7 varieties, some are larger, some are more hot/spicy, some have a garlicy after taste, some are more mellow. My hardneck varieties are bigger, the softneck smaller, but the softneck lasts a year while the hardneck may only last 7 months. (all the dehydrated garlic was softneck)
I'd buy 5 heads for $1--but get this--here most garlic growers can sell it for $14/lb and will sell out this next month from this year's harvest.

Chinese garlic will have the root end shaved very close because we do not want to import the dirt to our country (due to diseases), while locally grown garlic kept in the country does not have to shave the root end so close.

I don't know how you'd find a CSA or farmer's market in LA CA. We have a roadside stand less than a mile from the house and I used to pass 4 or 5 of them on my way to work each day. That's where I would look.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Munky,
I JUST finished putting the ground garlic in 2 jars. (8-10 cups of cloves = ~1 and 1/2 cups.) It took about 30 minutes in the food processor to get a good powder. If I get motivated, I'll take pictures of it, it's a nice light beige color, not perfectly white. Thank you for the suggestions.

My micro/convect automatically dehydrates at 140 degrees F.
This was soft neck variety garlic.

I hear elephant garlic is not a true garlic, more like an onion that is slightly garlicy. It's considered a weed, that is something I didn't know.
I didn't know that either Bliss. The things you find out around here. :)
Sounds like your going to be well set for garlic powder for a while. Nice one!
When my garlic is dehydrated it to is a light beige. Haven't had a problem with it yet.

The last time and only time I've bought special garlic salt was at Costco. It was bought on a whim. Liked the idea of the chopped roasted garlic & sea salt in a grinder. It was more salt then garlic. Eh' live and learn? Sure nuff! I don't think the grinder is refillable. The salt caked in the grinder.

Munky.

Tags
garlic