"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Dehydrator Discussions

Old 08-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
Head Chef

Dehydrated tomatoes

I'm dehydrating tomatoes, as usual, as they come out of the garden. Sliced in half and 9 or 12 hours, whatever it takes and then in freezer bags.
It makes the BEST spaghetti sauce, the best tomato sauce, tossed in the blender with some water, fresh tasting and sunny like the sunshine just finished getting them ripe.

I wish we had planted more this year. Next year, I'll plant enough to harvest twice this much to last a few years.

I have some cherry tomatoes, I'm dehydrating those too.....without slicing them, I don't know if they will dry out. I guess I'll find out tonight, whether they dry out or not.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Head Chef

I have a dehydrator and buckets of tomatoes. I might just try that. I have some white currant tomatoes that are so sweet--I think if I dried them they might sub for grapes!

Old 08-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I have a dehydrator and buckets of tomatoes. I might just try that. I have some white currant tomatoes that are so sweet--I think if I dried them they might sub for grapes!
I don't know why I thought this, but I thought you dehydrated tomatoes, with all your gardening interests.
Anyways, dehydrating is a low time, low cost way to put them up. I used to can tomatoes and it was always the hottest days and it would make the kitchen so hot, I just quit a few years ago.
I love the dehydrated tomatoes now. Tomato powder and dried tomatoes in a blender with water.....it's better than canned.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Head Chef

Nope, I am very new to dehydrating--my aunt found a dehydrator at the yard sale, and thought I would like it.

How do you store them after they are dry? I did some mushrooms the other day, and thought they were perfectly dry, but they molded!
Old 08-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Nope, I am very new to dehydrating--my aunt found a dehydrator at the yard sale, and thought I would like it.

How do you store them after they are dry? I did some mushrooms the other day, and thought they were perfectly dry, but they molded!
I put them in freezer bags and freeze them, a couple gallons of dehydrated tomatoes only take a little room in the freezer.
I don't dry them to 'brown', I dry them out, but not beyond dry and red. When they dry out to brown, they take on a burnt taste to me, so just red and pliable.
So let's say I have 20 tomatoes, they might only take up an 8 oz spot, or less, tomatoes are mostly water. When they dry they are 1/8th the space of fresh.

I've heard drying things can mold, but they have to be VERY dry, and I've never known how dry they need to be in order to not mold. That is why I keep the tomatoes in the freezer.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Cherry tomatoes are wonderful dried. I slice mine in half before dehydrating.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
So far, 2 hours, they still look like cherry tomatoes, though, the regular tomatoes don't look much different either. I'll look again in 2 hours, and if they still look normal and not drying, I'll slice them open. Well, maybe not....in two hours.....
Dawg........your response is causing me to go on a picture taking expedition....and maybe an experiment too. Off I go....... this Offness happens. It's like in the movie Forrest Gump, S*** happens.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Well here we are, my experiment has begun. This is what it all looks like. I cut about half the cherry tomatoes--and wow were they hot and juicy. I put them back in the dehydrator.
Here is what they look like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0055.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	15013  
Old 08-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful

Well here we are, my experiment has begun. This is what it all looks like. I cut about half the cherry tomatoes--and wow were they hot and juicy. I put them back in the dehydrator.
Here is what they look like.
Blissful, you have inspired me! I have an overabundance of toms, and my dehydrator is already out!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Blissful, you have inspired me! I have an overabundance of toms, and my dehydrator is already out!
Dawg......I inspired you?...now I feel a little important......does this mean you are going to dehydrate those tomatoes?
I've run mine about 12 hours most days, between garlic and tomatoes.

Tags
tomatoes