Dehydrating Bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Has anyone here dehydrated bacon before?

After the slices have been sauted (sp), drained. Is removing the fat from the slices necessary?

Thank you.

Munky.

Bacon should be sauteed until crisp. Most fat should have melted away, but if any is left yes remove it.

Place in dehydrator on a mesh sheet. During the drying process you need to wipe it with paper towels to remove as much of the remaining fat as possible (fat goes rancid). Dry until bacon crumbles easily.

Can I love that dehydrator any more? So glad I checked in here first. Thank you.
Might have missed it in Mary Bell's book..I don't recall her mentioning storage after wards.? Sealed jars cupboard storage. Like jerky. Or flavor sealed refrigerated?

I'll try making some black peppered bacon, let you know how that goes.

Munky.

I just fry bacon to normal doneness and freeze it.

But, but Andy if I did that it would take out all the fun of playing with my dehydrator.
Haven't learned to dry bacon in it yet.

Jerky bacon sounded good yesterday.. The thought of it today is kind of turning my stomache... :ohmy::ohmy:

Munky.

I was actually just wondering this the other day. I imagine once you took away all the fat from the bacon, you wouldn't have the same flavour as if you cooked it in the oven & left the fat on (the meaty pieces always seem to taste different to me)

Back
Top Bottom