"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Dehydrator Discussions

Old 04-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Just curious, and I apologize for the phrasing - why do you "need" to be so particular about it?

Old 04-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Just curious, and I apologize for the phrasing - why do you "need" to be so particular about it?
No worries. It needs to last and look professional when I send off the mix to my family and friends all over the world, like something they bought at the store, but without the junk ingredients.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
Master Chef

Have you considered a commercial product like WillPowder heavy cream powder?
Old 04-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Have you considered a commercial product like WillPowder heavy cream powder?
Yes Aunt Bea I did :) You think like me. I paid for Amazon prime so I could get it quick, but I never ordered it because apparently it has sugar in it and what I seek to make is low carb and sugar free. It doesn't say that on Amazon nor their own website. I had to call them to find this info out. Ugh, why did they have to add the sugar? Maybe as a preservative, because sugar can act as one. The only other heavy cream powder I could find is $23 + $13 to ship, I don't *think* it has sugar (they never called me back 2 weeks later still waiting), but that's way too expensive for how much you get and you can't get any discounts on shipping via $25+ super saver either because even though it's on Amazon, it's not fulfilled through them.

I read somewhere that fats go rancid and you can't dehydrate whole milk let alone anything fattier. But whole milk has 5 grams of fat and they sell it powdered, though hard to find, most local stores only have non fat. I have yet to try the powdered whole milk but I know it's unlikely to work in my recipe that needs the additional fat for texture, thickness and the right flavor. Even half and half may have worked, or even that super fatty Vit D milk which is fattier than whole milk, but those don't come in powdered and the only true guarantee is powdered heavy cream.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #15
Master Chef

The website does not indicate that it contains added sugar.

Spray dried sweet cream with 72% butterfat. Contains sweet cream, nonfat milk, sodium caseinate and anti-caking agent.

Liquid heavy cream contains some carbohydrate and a small amount of sugar. I am thinking that when it is dehydrated those numbers will appear to be much higher because of the concentration and not because of any added sugar.

Just my thought.

Good luck!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Hi Aunt Bea, I am not a cook nor baker, and was never good in chemistry, just a disclaimer in case I say something silly now or in the future. They told me theirs has X amount of sugar per ounce, I forget the number, but it seemed high & I thought it was added. So really the issue is that their using sweet cream from the get-go, and not regular cream it seems like?

My 2% milk has 13 carbs & 13 grams of sugars for a serving of 240 ml
My creamer has 1 carb and 0 sugars for a serving of 15 ml

So then creamer at 240 ml would be equal to 16 grams of carbs and 0 sugars. (you don't even want to know the fat & calories!)

I can taste the sweetness in milk, but not in heavy cream I think? Otherwise I would have been inclined to think that despite the 0 grams of sugars for 15ml of creamer, that perhaps they just said 0 because it was less than 1, but for higher quantities, there could be sugar, especially since in the case of milk, all the carbs come from sugar. And maybe that is correct, I don't know.

But bottom line is if they are using sweet cream, that would be added sugars outside of those naturally occurring in heavy cream right? Shute, I wish I wrote down those numbers.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #17
Master Chef

Sweet cream as opposed to sour cream.

I think it is just terminology.

I still believe the issue is that 15 ml or roughly one tablespoon of a liquid cream has about 1/2 carb and trace amounts of natural sugar and that one tablespoon of concentrated powdered cream would have several carbs and a measurable amount of sugar. I think the unanswered question is how much powdered cream does it take to make a similar amount of liquid cream. Once we know that we can see if the nutritional value of liquid cream is the same as the nutritional value of powdered cream. I have to believe that they would be equal.

I think I am gaining weight just talking about all of this cream!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

LOL you're funny. Actually I think I am the one gaining because I just drank a few tablespoons of the creamer! I know, I am nuts, at least I don't use it for my cereal anymore!

So their using the term sweet cream for heavy cream. Interesting, I never would have guessed that. I will call again and find out how much sugar is in it per gram and if it's something they added or naturally occurring. This time I will write it down and I will report back! Thank you for your help :) Oh, the other one was molecular gastronomy heavy cream, that's the super spendy one I have yet to find out info on. I guess I will call them again since they haven't returned my call, but I can't imagine spending $36 when Will is $23 for the same amount.

UPDATE: Here's what I found:

100 grams (3.5 oz)
carb 19.08
sugar 12.03
sodium 152 mg

So their measuring in grams but our liquids are in ML. And they say you can't mix weight (grams) with volume (cup). So what does this info mean to me? I don't have a list of ingredients to know if they added anything more or if the sugar is more when powdered because it's more condensed? The lady on the phone seemed to say they added but I don't know for certain.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...am-powder.html
Old 04-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #19
Master Chef

Good luck!

Take a look at this recent thread on molecular gastronomy!

Hot sauce or Fish Roe?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Thanks Aunt Bea I will check it out. Can you please look at my previous post? I added some info to it :)

Tags
cream