"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Dehydrator Discussions

Old 06-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Did the Dehydrator come with an instruction manual?
It did. One of the banana recipes actually said to mix the 1/2 cup honey with 1/4 cup water mixture, which is why we were surprised when it turned out horrible, thus me posting on the forum here haha.

I guess from now on, I'll ditch the in-book recipes and just do things simple from now on. :P

Old 06-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Well, me and the fiance actually took another crack last night at dehydrating the bananas. Didn't turn out well at all this time either and I think the taste was even worse.

The bananas turned out to be very chip-like, which is perfect. The texture is the exact way we wanted it. But the taste... Uggghhhhh.. It was so putrid that it was horrible. Do you think the bananas should have any sort of pre-treatment done to them to keep the banana taste? These didn't taste anything at ALL like bananas.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

The only treatment I have ever heard of is dipping them in lemon water, but that is just for the color (so they do not turn brown) not for the taste.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

The banana chips you buy at the store have been fried which makes them chrispy and have also been sugar coated. I would also love to be able to get the same taste and texture with just dehydrateing.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Well, its great to be here, here's my problem. I did a whole bunch if white nectarines this summer, like 5 batches, always keeping notes of what temp I used, # of hours, etc, trying diff things.

I tested all the pieces for doneness, made sure I couldn't squeeze any moisture out of them. The booklet that came with the dehydrator didn't mention letting the fruit cool before putting away, and didn't mention "conditioning," which I just found out about recently.

I have some cute little jars and this was gonna be my Christmas gift to all my coworkers, T, I decided to check them out last week, and *screams* they are FERMENTED!! Can they be "fixed?" Do I just dry the more? They are out of season now, so I can't make new ones til next summer. Any ideas???
Old 12-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #16
Head Chef

Oh, poor thing--I think you are out of luck. Sorry--a painful lesson.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have to agree with Sparrowgrass, they're not safe to eat. So sorry!

I wonder if you could hot glue them to a wreath or string them on a garland, then it wouldn't be a total waste.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the tips

Ok, if I can't use the nectarines *sniff sniff* I am gonna have to figure out what went wrong, before next summer, b/c I plan to dry more. I read somewhere recently about "conditioning," to even out the moisture between all the pieces, so I will try that, of course. But, will that prevent them from going bad? Maybe they need to be dryer? I stored them in airtight containers for the last couple months.