"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Dehydrator Discussions

Old 06-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Does Anyone Use a Nevco Dehydrator?

I bought a used Nevco dehydrator & would like to learn more about using it. I was able to get the user's manual from Michael but the manual isn't very helpful. My dehydrator has a heating element at the bottom with adjustable vents at the top & bottom. Can anyone give me some basic instructions?

Thanks

Old 06-02-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
Master Chef

What are you trying to dry? What do you need additional instructions for?

Old 06-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I'd like to start with something simple

Maybe dehydrated strawberries or seedless watermelon. After I've used it & gotten the hang of it I'd like to try making beef jerky & fruit leather.

As far as additional instructions, I'm not sure how much the vents need to be opened for specific foods. I'm guessing that if the vents are closed most of the way then that allows for more heat inside of the unit & if the vents are open all of the way then that allows for less heat inside the unit. I noticed that some dehydrators have an adjustable thermostat but mine doesn't so I need to use those vents to regulate the tepmerature. I also noticed that some dehydrators have a blower but mine doesn't, mine just has the heating element & the vents. Will that provide enough convection to dry the foods?
Old 06-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
Master Chef

The NEVCO manual gives you the instructions (top and bottom vent settings and times) for strawberries, jerky, fruit leathers/roll-ups. Watermelon might be a problem - depending on how thick you slice it - but you might treat 1/8th-inch thick slices like pears.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Hi,
Would someone be kind enough to share the Nevco Manual with me? It has upper and lower vents and 5 trays. A friend gave it to me, but I never used it and now have decided to give it a try, but there are no instructions in the box. Would like to eat healthier and save $ at the same time, but with the cost of food these days can't waste anything.
Anyone?
TIA