Excalibur 9 dehydrator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Amazon has the Ex on sale for $179.95 was $345.95
I'm in the market to buy one,and the Ex seems to be at the top of the line.
I've never owned or used a dehydrator.

What are the dehydrator sheets for? Is that something that's a must have?

Thanks

Munky.

The Excalibur is the Cadillac of dehydrators and well worth having if you can afford one. The sheets you are referring to are for either a fine mesh or solid for drying items that may fall through the larger mesh trays and for doing semi-liquid items like leathers. Must have? I would say yes.

The adjustable heat levels are a great feature. It allows you to gently dry fresh herbs as well as make jerky or dried fruits, etc.

Sounds good.I had figured already that it was the Cadillac of dehydrators,especially after reading your posts on the subject.
I set out on Amazon looking for the Ex.Thank you :)

Their selling a set the Ex,Paper and Mary Bell's book.
Usually books that come in the bundled sets aren't that informative.
What book if you know of one that in your opinion is a must have for beginners that advance fast? (I might be slow but don't count me out ) :LOL:

Thanks

Munky.

The adjustable heat levels are a great feature. It allows you to gently dry fresh herbs as well as make jerky or dried fruits, etc.

It has temp controls? I'm on Amazon looking at it now.I wasn't able to read or see any of that info.

Do you have one?

Munky.

What book if you know of one that in your opinion is a must have for beginners that advance fast? (I might be slow but don't count me out )
The Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook is the "must have". It is the bible of dehydrator books and has every piece of food that has water in it and how to dehydrate it properly.

The Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook is the "must have". It is the bible of dehydrator books and has every piece of food that has water in it and how to dehydrate it properly.

My husband bought me the dehydrator last night, the 2900 with Mary's bible.
Amazon was having a great sale on dehydrating/canning books I bought several.I'm planning on doing some serious canning this summer.

We didn't buy the sheets.I wasn't sure if the $8.99 was for each sheet.
I'll wait and see how it all goes,Then buy some later if I really need them.

Munky.

It's here..yeah!!!!... Fed Ex just delivered it tonight.
We've already got Bananas going,first batch.

Looks like I get to eat tomorrow ;)

It's much larger then I thought it would be.The color temp does'nt have the orange/brownish color,it's light blue to dark blue.Pretty cool looking.

I hope Mary's book comes with a crouton recipe.I've heard that they're pretty good.

Off to find stuff to slice & dry

Munky...

Sorry, no crouton recipes in the dehydrator book, but there may be something in the Excalibur manual. Bread cubes would dry nicely but you should not use any oil and the addition of herbs may not stick. Perhaps that is why there are no recipes in the dehydrator book.

I use the oven since I use olive oil and herbs and a higher temperature (350-375 F) to bake and crisp.

PS - I'm very envious of your Excalibur. I only have the American Harvester FD50 GardenMaster, but I do have about 12 trays, most yellowed from age and use.

UPDATE: Here's an "oven" crouton recipe just in case you are interested.

Croutons

10 slices bread -- heels are fine (homemade or store bought)
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon celery salt (or 1/2 teaspoon salt -- and 1/8 teaspoon celery seed)
1/4 cup oil -- (1/4 to 1/3)

First make 2 piles of your bread. Using a very sharp, serrated knife, slice them into small cubes. I make 5 cuts each direction, one down the center, and two to each side, but you can do it the way that works best for you. Place all of the bread cubes into a large bowl.

Sprinkle on the seasonings. Toss briefly to mix in the seasonings. Next dribble in the oil somewhat evenly. Now gently toss everything together. The oil will help the seasonings stick to the bread and also make the bread crispy without actually having to fry it. Spread the croutons on a large cookie sheet, use two if you need to. Bake them at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until they are crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the pan. Store the croutons in a plastic bag, or resealable container. Serve on salads, or tossed in omelettes, or on top of plain spaghetti and Parmesan cheese.

Sorry, no crouton recipes in the dehydrator book, but there may be something in the Excalibur manual. Bread cubes would dry nicely but you should not use any oil and the addition of herbs may not stick. Perhaps that is why there are no recipes in the dehydrator book.

I use the oven since I use olive oil and herbs and a higher temperature (350-375 F) to bake and crisp.

PS - I'm very envious of your Excalibur. I only have the American Harvester FD50 GardenMaster, but I do have about 12 trays, most yellowed from age and use.

UPDATE: Here's an "oven" crouton recipe just in case you are interested.

Croutons

10 slices bread -- heels are fine (homemade or store bought)
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon celery salt (or 1/2 teaspoon salt -- and 1/8 teaspoon celery seed)
1/4 cup oil -- (1/4 to 1/3)

First make 2 piles of your bread. Using a very sharp, serrated knife, slice them into small cubes. I make 5 cuts each direction, one down the center, and two to each side, but you can do it the way that works best for you. Place all of the bread cubes into a large bowl.

Sprinkle on the seasonings. Toss briefly to mix in the seasonings. Next dribble in the oil somewhat evenly. Now gently toss everything together. The oil will help the seasonings stick to the bread and also make the bread crispy without actually having to fry it. Spread the croutons on a large cookie sheet, use two if you need to. Bake them at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until they are crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the pan. Store the croutons in a plastic bag, or resealable container. Serve on salads, or tossed in omelettes, or on top of plain spaghetti and Parmesan cheese.
Thank you VERY much :) I'm changing plans today so I can make some.You know I spend about $20 sometimes more a month on croutons.I like them alot!
The pamphlet that came with the dehydrator has no recipe for them.Just samples of what you can dehydrate,and times,estimated.It's a good pamphlet,but if your like me it's just a refresher on what you already know.
Like the crockpot lid I just can't leave it alone to do it's job.I opened it up while I was drying green onions,garlic,and yellow onions..You know dried stuff can really fly! :) I think it needs me or something,I dunno.
Today it gets moved to it's new spot,Bay window above the kitchen sink.That way I can't reach it without a stool,and then climb on the counter to get to it. (Monkey!)

I'm learning.Your right though,the sheets would have prevented the onions/green onions from falling through the liners.All in all it's been fun experimenting,learning what I can actually accomplish with it.I might get good enough to be dangerous. :)

If your dehydrator works it's a keeper.Nothing to be jealous of.The Ex only got my attention because of your posts,and knowledge about dehydrators.We really couldn't afford to buy it,by any means.My husband bought it for me for our 20th wedding anniversary.I would have been happy with a smaller version of anything really.

Thanks agin for the recipe.Much appreciated :)

Munky.

If you have parchment paper use it to line your trays when drying those items that might fall through or are sticky. Tomato slices are definitely such a candidate.

I love my croutons and always have a couple gallon bags of them for soups, salads and just snacking on.

Mcnerd,
Your crouton recipe was delishhhh :) right on the money.
I used an entire loaf of bread then doubled your recipe.
The flavor is above and beyond anything that the stores have to offer.
Thanks again.

Munky.

Using a very sharp, serrated knife, slice them into small cubes. I make 5 cuts each direction, one down the center, and two to each side, but you can do it the way that works best for you. Place all of the bread cubes into a large bowl.

To make cutting your cubes even easier. Put the sliced bread into the freezer overnight. Then, using about 2 or 3 slices stacked on top of each other, slice the way you usually do. The bread will stay frozen long enough to make nice clean cuts. Been doing it this way for over 10 years. Works beautifully.

This is THE BEST dehydrator I've ever used. Believe me, you won't regret if you'd buy it.
I'd also recommend to buy Excalibur Non-Stick Drying Sheet. 4pcs would be enough.

I was just given one of these, Excalibur 9 tray. I have a question about non-stick liners. Just priced them, prefer the silicone ones but they are costy. So...if I'm making fruit leathers or such, can I just use waxed paper? Cheap, and if I cut the finished product with scissors, it should roll up and make its own wrapper.

I was just given one of these, Excalibur 9 tray. I have a question about non-stick liners. Just priced them, prefer the silicone ones but they are costy. So...if I'm making fruit leathers or such, can I just use waxed paper? Cheap, and if I cut the finished product with scissors, it should roll up and make its own wrapper.

I'd go with parchment paper over waxed. That should work fine.

Hey gad, so nice to see you.
I use parchment paper for fruit leathers. I have a tray, then parchment on top, marking out the area I want the fruit leather to go onto. Then spread it out on top, evenly. After drying, cut the paper edges off, and cut the paper and the leather together, into strips, then roll each up (together). Works great. Wax paper might work. I've not tried it yet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom