"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Dehydrator Discussions

Old 09-23-2016, 08:42 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

I have a Nevco dehydrator and need instruction on how to use. brought long tome ago and misplaced the manual. can anyone help me Please!!!!

Old 09-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #12
Head Chef

go to
to view your product manual information - Nesco

Old 09-23-2016, 09:35 PM   #13
Head Chef

Hey McNerd, 'putting up food guy', haven't seen you in a long time, as I have not always had time to be here and you are rather scarce yourself. Good to see you.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:09 PM   #14
Head Chef

I haven't done any further home canning since I still have a goodly supply going back to 2007 (still good) since it's only me in the household now and people don't want to hear the 'rules' anymore so I seldom post. Life goes on. Working on making herbal remedies now. Tomorrow I have to buy a bottle of 100 proof Vodka but not destined for drinking.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:18 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
I haven't done any further home canning since I still have a goodly supply going back to 2007 (still good) since it's only me in the household now and people don't want to hear the 'rules' anymore so I seldom post. Life goes on. Working on making herbal remedies now. Tomorrow I have to buy a bottle of 100 proof Vodka but not destined for drinking.
Ah, so sorry, you being the only person in the household, what a big adjustment it must be for you.

You are right, people don't want to hear the rules, but, then, it might save lives, so there is that too. Have faith. Be the Mother Theresa or Gandhi of the canning world. Even they struggled with their faith.

Maybe you could start a thread on making home remedies. Please please do. I'd love to hear that adventure.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:26 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Maybe you could start a thread on making home remedies.
Nah, it exists all over the Internet already which is how I stumbled on it (and frustration with doctors and their remedies). It also pays to be a good gardener too.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:29 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Wait. wait! I am just reading the rules now. I am starting an early retirement around canning and preserving fresh and cooked food. I am tapping into the permaculture movement a little too. I want to go from hobbyist who teaches her friends, to agent to help others "put up," possibly opening my own commercial kitchen for people to learn and use for their processing and preserving. Is there a site or group I should join for "the rules?' thanks
Old 10-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannette60 View Post
Wait. wait! I am just reading the rules now. I am starting an early retirement around canning and preserving fresh and cooked food. I am tapping into the permaculture movement a little too. I want to go from hobbyist who teaches her friends, to agent to help others "put up," possibly opening my own commercial kitchen for people to learn and use for their processing and preserving. Is there a site or group I should join for "the rules?' thanks
Hi, Jeannette and welcome to Discuss Cooking

The rules for what? Putting up, or teaching how to do that, or selling food to the public?

I do know that each state has different laws about what people need to do to sell food to the public. So you could start there.

When you say agent, do you mean you want to become a Cooperative Extension agent? I'm taking a Master Food Volunteer class right now through Cooperative Extension and I believe you need a degree in a relevant field to become an agent. And of course, Cooperative Extension is all about volunteering, not for-profit enterprises, so that would seem to me to be an unlikely career path

Can you clarify?
Old 10-05-2016, 09:34 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
Just wanted to say, I've missed you, too, mcnerd I think there are quite a number of people who do want to preserve food properly and you were always a voice we could trust.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannette60 View Post
I want to go from hobbyist who teaches her friends, to agent to help others "put up," possibly opening my own commercial kitchen for people to learn and use for their processing and preserving. Is there a site or group I should join for "the rules?' thanks
To officially teach others home canning and preserving you need to become was is known as a 'Master Canner' or 'Master Preserver', from years of study and on-hands experience.

You can start the journey by acquiring a current copy of Ball's Guide to Preserving. A simple book available everywhere, but the bible for anyone serious about preserving food safely. Next become a permanent resident of the National Center for Home Food Preservation and everything they have to offer. Consider them God.

They also provide a nice self-study course. You can allow yourself a smile of satisfaction when you can pass the course with 100%. By then you should know humility about home canning and how easy it will be to make your friends and relatives sick when you aren't careful.