Healthy Dog Treats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donsabi

Assistant Cook
I like to buy my dog as healthy as possible. Prior to making my own I would end up paying around $12 for 8oz.

Now I dehydrate chicken breasts and my dog loves them. I buy chicken breast when they are on sale. At the Grocers Discount store I can sometimes get them for $1.99/lb. I found it best to cut the breasts prior to cooking and I cut them up into 1/2 to 3/4" cubes. I then slow boil them for ten minutes. Drain, dry on paper towel, and put them in my Excalibur dehydrator. About six hours later I have dog treats that will keep at room temperature forever.
I get a huge costs savings and my dog, and other dogs, love them. Plus I know what's in them. Chicken and nothing more.

Don

I wonder if one could dehydrate canned tuna as cat treats.
I think the pieces would get too small. A friend used to dehydrate liver for her dogs--but would do this outside so that the smell didn't permeate the house. She also dehydrated white fish fillets.

taxlady said:
I wonder if one could dehydrate canned tuna as cat treats.

Maybe make tuna leather, like fruit leather? Then rip pieces off as needed.

I think the pieces would get too small. A friend used to dehydrate liver for her dogs--but would do this outside so that the smell didn't permeate the house. She also dehydrated white fish fillets.
I was hoping for something cat kibble sized. My cat is 16 years old and gnawing on big stuff seems difficult for him. Tuna is the only "ape food" that interests him.

I was hoping for something cat kibble sized. My cat is 16 years old and gnawing on big stuff seems difficult for him. Tuna is the only "ape food" that interests him.
Have you ever dehydrated mushroom steams? They get very tiny. If you can make fruit leather in yours and have the sheets for that, then you could probably do the tuna and it wouldn't fall down between the spaces.

Have you ever dehydrated mushroom steams? They get very tiny. If you can make fruit leather in yours and have the sheets for that, then you could probably do the tuna and it wouldn't fall down between the spaces.
I've never actually used the dehydrate function of my DeLonghi toaster oven. I guess stuff should go on grate of some sort. Hadn't thought about that. Maybe put some parchment paper on the grill thingee with the holes in it and flip stuff over?

taxlady said:
I've never actually used the dehydrate function of my DeLonghi toaster oven. I guess stuff should go on grate of some sort. Hadn't thought about that. Maybe put some parchment paper on the grill thingee with the holes in it and flip stuff over?

I think that would work, maybe a double sheet of parchment. My dehydrator has a plastic sheet for fruit leathers.

Back
Top Bottom