"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Dehydrator Discussions

Old 03-30-2015, 07:51 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jon View Post
Go buy a diet lean roast. Have the guy at the meat counter slice it thin. Season with wihat ever you want. You can buy the jerky cure and seasonings if you want. I just marinade in a little soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Season with garlic powder and pepper. How much you use is up to your taste. One thing NEVER put honey in your marinade. It makes a great tasting jerky but extremely sticky. At the time I didn't realize honey does not dehydrate. oops. IF you do what I do and dont buy the cure you must keep refrigerated and use up in 2 weeks max. It will mold. If you use the cure it will last a lot longer. I don't know how long its always gone way too fast.

Hi Farmer John!

I don't plan on using the cures, so will make smaller batches that my hubby and I can refrigerate and eat within a week's time. Then again, if it tastes awesome, we'll run out fast. Thanks for the reminder on refrigeration.

I'm getting a home use meat slicer for my birthday next month, so I'll be using that to cut the beef and other meats for jerky, as we tend to go grocery shopping later in the evenings when the butcher is done for the day.

I can't wait to get some jerky done as I sometimes have trouble with the commercial jerkies and all the salt & MSG. Now, I can control what goes in to my jerky.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs
should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein
Maelinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:38 AM   #12
Master Chef

You're welcome, Maaelinde. Eye of round IS virtually fat-less, so your previous purchase was probably that. I don't think you would have much success cutting meat on the mandolin, since I have used it only for produce too. Maybe someone else has tried it. If you don't want to wait until your birthday (happy birthday early, btw ), you might want to buy an eye of round, cut off part to roast for dinner that night, and save the smaller piece for jerky. If I were cutting by hand, I'd stand the roast on end and divide into 2 or three portions. Then lay on the cut end and slice with your knife. This way you'll have only an inch or two of meat that you'll have to keep a steady hand for and try to maintain a thin cut. Bonus: perfect slices to marinate. If you do try this, good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelinde View Post
...I'm getting a home use meat slicer for my birthday next month, so I'll be using that to cut the beef and other meats for jerky, as we tend to go grocery shopping later in the evenings when the butcher is done for the day...
Maybe you could call the store during the time the butcher is in, tell him what you're looking for, and have him get it ready ahead of time on a day you will shop. If it ends up not being cut properly for jerky, you could always make Philly cheesesteak sandwiches?

Old 03-31-2015, 04:26 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
You're welcome, Maaelinde. Eye of round IS virtually fat-less, so your previous purchase was probably that. I don't think you would have much success cutting meat on the mandolin, since I have used it only for produce too. Maybe someone else has tried it.
My mandolin seems like it shouldn't be used for even cheese, so I'm going to either use my extra sharp Santoku, or find a serrated knife. I feel more comfortable with the Santoku for some reason. I'm hoping to at least have tried before the weekend for some snacks.

Quote:
If you don't want to wait until your birthday (happy birthday early, btw ), you might want to buy an eye of round, cut off part to roast for dinner that night, and save the smaller piece for jerky. If I were cutting by hand, I'd stand the roast on end and divide into 2 or three portions. Then lay on the cut end and slice with your knife. This way you'll have only an inch or two of meat that you'll have to keep a steady hand for and try to maintain a thin cut. Bonus: perfect slices to marinate. If you do try this, good luck.
Thank you for the early birthday wishes! My brother is visiting during that time and I plan on teaching him how to cook. Heck, we might even do beef jerky together if I can get a batch done that I totally love.

The piece of beef we bought was so small that it would only be good for something like jerky. It was some kind of round, but not eye of round. I need to have Randy find where he put it. I don't like shopping all hunched over in the fridge or freezer since the car accident on Feb 13th...

Randy wants to help with the jerky making -that is the only thing he's interested in using the Dehydrator for, although he certainly does his part eating the items I've dried.

Quote:
Maybe you could call the store during the time the butcher is in, tell him what you're looking for, and have him get it ready ahead of time on a day you will shop. If it ends up not being cut properly for jerky, you could always make Philly cheesesteak sandwiches?
[/QUOTE]

That's an excellent idea! We'll try this beef first, and I kind of want to see if the London Broil we have in the freezer would be a good to use for Jerky as well. We won't know if we don't try, as my mom used to say. She passed away in 2008, and she was my favorite mentor and biggest cheerleader. Learned most everything I know about cooking from her. She would have loved the dehydrator, and probably flown out here more often for a dehydrator day.

Thanks for all of the wonderful advice!! I'm getting so excited that I forgot to go to bed. Best head there now and remove the fluffy kitty that always steals my pillow and side of the bed...

Old 04-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I have a slicer also. Do yourself a favor if you slice it yourself. Make sure the meat is about half frozen. It slices better.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:06 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

ISO Dehydrator Recipes For Easy Beef Jerky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jon View Post
I have a slicer also. Do yourself a favor if you slice it yourself. Make sure the meat is about half frozen. It slices better.

Yes, it needs to be partially frozen. Makes it very easy to slice with a sharp knife.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
You're welcome, Maaelinde. Eye of round IS virtually fat-less, so your previous purchase was probably that. I don't think you would have much success cutting meat on the mandolin, since I have used it only for produce too. Maybe someone else has tried it. If you don't want to wait until your birthday (happy birthday early, btw ), you might want to buy an eye of round, cut off part to roast for dinner that night, and save the smaller piece for jerky. If I were cutting by hand, I'd stand the roast on end and divide into 2 or three portions. Then lay on the cut end and slice with your knife. This way you'll have only an inch or two of meat that you'll have to keep a steady hand for and try to maintain a thin cut. Bonus: perfect slices to marinate. If you do try this, good luck.
Thank you for the early Birthday wishes! This year (since Christmas) it is all about kitchen appliances. Now that we have the space since moving from a smallish apartment in 2013, I'm all about cooking at home more. You have some fantastic ideas.

Quote:
I think I will call the butcher when my brother is out visiting us and seeing if he can cut a good sized eye of round and use some in the crock pot, then the rest for jerky. Randy absolutely adores Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches. That was partially the selling point to get him to buy me a slicer. I've heard that French Dips are amazing when the beef is sliced nice and thin like for Cheesesteaks. YUM

If you could only hear my voice, you'd hear how excited I am. <giggle>

Old 04-01-2015, 06:26 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Thank you both Farmer Jon and Dawgluver. I very much appreciate all the advice I've been given here.

How long should I freeze it before slicing? It is a smallish cut - just barely under 1lb. I finally saw the label and it says Sirloin Steak Petite cut. I still don't see any fat on it, so I think it will be excellent for jerky.

I'll also try the London Broil soon. That is frozen solid - not sure how much is in the bag - Randy cut up a large London Broil and then vacuum sealed 3 bags before freezing and he didn't label the weight...

Not new to cooking - just new to some of these gadgets & appliances. I could use a food processor with my eyes closed and both arms tied behind my back... <grin>

Old 04-01-2015, 06:51 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

ISO Dehydrator Recipes For Easy Beef Jerky

Thank you, Maelinde, just freeze it long enough to make it easy to cut. Partially or fully frozen should work fine to easily cut.

Dang, now I want more jerky! I kept mine in the fridge in a Mason jar. Guess I needn't have bothered as it lasted maybe 3 days.

I LOVE my dehydrator, use it for cherry tomatoes and apple slices all the time. It's a cheapo Harvester, and I bought extra trays for it.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:12 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I love my dehydrator, too. I've not done cherry tomatoes, but I do Romas all the time. We love them in soups, stews, and pasta sauce. My favorite so far is tangelos. Slice them super thin on the mandolin and leave the skin on. Tastes like super yummy candy.

I'm hoping to do the jerky this week. We've got stormy weather coming in, so I don't know what the humidity is going to do to anything dehydrating. I have heard that you can't really over-dry food in a dehydrator. I've got plans to do Zucchini chips this week as well.

I want some snacks for the Renaissance Faire that opens this weekend! <grin>

Old 04-02-2015, 12:05 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I was told to freeze beef for hand slicing for about 20 minutes. You can put it back in the freezer for 10-20 minutes if it gets too soft before you are done slicing, to firm it up.

Tags
beef, easy, jerk, recipe