"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Dehydrator Discussions

Old 03-24-2015, 07:13 PM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO Dehydrator Recipes For Easy Beef Jerky

Hi Everyone,

I received an Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator for Christmas and have been drying like a mad woman.

I now want to get in to making all kinds of jerky - starting with beef. I'm also looking for gluten free turkey jerky recipes for friends, as well as some grain free/seasoning free fish jerky for my kitties.

What kind of beef works best for jerky? I do have some London Broil in the freezer - would that work out okay or is the fat content too high? I don't see much, if any, marbling in it. I do enjoy roasting eye of round in the crock pot and that is widely available in my area.

I don't have a jerky gun, so ground is probably out for now unless you can suggest other ways to go about it. I'm willing to learn.

Many thanks in advance for your help. I promise to share the good, the bad, and the ugly.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs
should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein
Maelinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:30 PM   #2
Master Chef

The best jerky I ever had was venison. That was back in a previous life though, when I was married to a hunter. Maybe 'salt and pepper'/Joey will see this and comment. I imagine if anyone has pointers regarding making any kind of jerky, he would.

Congrats on your new toy, maelinde! Sounds like you're having fun with it.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
The best jerky I ever had was venison. That was back in a previous life though, when I was married to a hunter. Maybe 'salt and pepper'/Joey will see this and comment. I imagine if anyone has pointers regarding making any kind of jerky, he would.

Congrats on your new toy, maelinde! Sounds like you're having fun with it.
Hi Cheryl,

Thank you, I absolutely love that Excalibur! Like you, I do enjoy venison.

I look forward to seeing jerky recipes for all kinds of meat. If it can be made into delicious jerky, I'm happy to learn about it.

I am so excited to be able to control what goes in to the jerky. I'm MSG sensitive, as well as prefer lower sodium, so this is an exciting endeavor for me.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I got the most beautiful cheapest, leanest beef cut on sale, and after looking up and reading about it, apparently it wasn't good for anything, including slow cooker, roasting, boiling the heck out of it, etc. Maybe for tire traction.

But it made excellent jerky! I partially froze it, sliced it super thin, and marinated it overnight with lots of pepper and low sodium soy sauce and other stuff. Dehydrated it to leather, and it didn't last very long.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:52 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Hi Dawgluver,

That sounds yummy! Do you remember what cut of beef that was? Your method sounds easy and delicious. I love lots of pepper, especially the fresh milled multi color peppercorns.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thinking it was eye of round. Not a squinch of fat, which made it perfect for jerky and nothing else.

If your kitties like jerky, I've also had success with pumpkin jerkey. Beagle adores it! Just smear pumpkin puree on the fruit rollup tray and dry the heck out of it, cut into strips.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:53 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I like eye of round, so will try that when we go shopping this weekend. YUM

My kitty boys can't have beef, however our kitty girl loves it. They all LOVE pumpkin. I've thought of making some pumpkin leather/jerky out of the canned stuff to pulverize and sprinkle over their food for digestive upsets. Pumpkin is ideal for treating digestive issues in most species including us.

I'm also thinking of doing a fish jerky with tilapia and no seasoning for the kitties. All 3 of them LOVE tilapia when I grill it on the indoor grill, so I'll make up one for them that is unseasoned. I'll post the results when I can get that round tuit out.

Thanks for your suggestions! I can't wait to get to making some jerky! :)

Old 03-28-2015, 03:17 AM   #8
Master Chef

Our son would make beef jerky when we all lived under one roof. That's been way too long a time, so I don't know if he does jerky anymore. (I do know he still uses the dehydrator, because I tried to get it from him on a visit back home...) When he made it, I would get an eye of round, head to the butcher and ask him to slice it wafer-thin. He/she might look at you as if you have two heads, but just tell them you want it for jerky and thinner is better. It made excellent jerky. Unfortunately, neither Goober nor I remember what exactly he mixed together for the marinade. I do remember copious amounts of soy sauce were involved...

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Go buy a diet lean roast. Have the guy at the meat counter slice it thin. Season with wihat ever you want. You can buy the jerky cure and seasonings if you want. I just marinade in a little soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Season with garlic powder and pepper. How much you use is up to your taste. One thing NEVER put honey in your marinade. It makes a great tasting jerky but extremely sticky. At the time I didn't realize honey does not dehydrate. oops. IF you do what I do and dont buy the cure you must keep refrigerated and use up in 2 weeks max. It will mold. If you use the cure it will last a lot longer. I don't know how long its always gone way too fast.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Our son would make beef jerky when we all lived under one roof. That's been way too long a time, so I don't know if he does jerky anymore. (I do know he still uses the dehydrator, because I tried to get it from him on a visit back home...) When he made it, I would get an eye of round, head to the butcher and ask him to slice it wafer-thin. He/she might look at you as if you have two heads, but just tell them you want it for jerky and thinner is better. It made excellent jerky. Unfortunately, neither Goober nor I remember what exactly he mixed together for the marinade. I do remember copious amounts of soy sauce were involved...

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you.

Hi Cooking Goddess,

Awesome tips! We tried to get an eye of round this weekend, but I guess everyone out here is making jerky.

I can't remember what cut of beef we picked up, but I remember it being seriously lean. Absolutely zero fat on it. It is a small cut, so if the jerky doesn't turn out, we're not out much money-wise.

I do have an exceptionally sharp Santoku knife that may do the trick, or I'll have to wait a few weeks for my birthday when Randy will buy me a nice meat slicer. I think we both decided on a Chef's Choice after much online research.

I do have a mandolin slicer - wonder if that would work with beef? I've only ever used it with produce.

I look forward to making some jerky soon. Hopefully this week if my back pain levels go down.

Tags
beef, easy, jerk, recipe