Leather - pliable, crisp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nana9

Assistant Cook
This morning I was delivered a Excalibur food dehydrator. question , questions, questions. Can you over dry foods? lets say that I don't know what the leather and pliable actually looks like. lets just say....... OK I will..... I don't know. Can someone help me understand? there are lots of youtube on how to dehydrate but I haven't seen any to tell me when enough is enough.

Leather is like a belt, pliable. You want your apple slices like that. Banana chips can be crisper. Strawberry slices can be either leathery or crisp. You won't ruin anything, just keep checking until you get the texture you want. If stuff you dehydrated still has moisture you may want to dry it some more, or refrigerate or freeze it.

Last edited:
Leather is like a belt, pliable. You want your apple slices like that. Banana chips can be crisper. Strawberry slices can be either leathery or crisp. You won't ruin anything, just keep checking until you get the texture you want. If stuff you dehydrated still has moisture you may want to dry it some more, or refrigerate or freeze it.

Perfect answer !!

Enjoy your new dehydrater .. you can make lots of things with it.

Thank you for your reply. So pliable and leathery are the same? The guide book that came with the the machine describes peaches as pliable yet strawberries as leathery. Apples and bananas are described as being pliable which I thought was supposed to be crisp. For as much food as I have thrown away in the past because we didn't use it up fast enough this machine will pay for its self in no time at all. I am excited! My first test will be tomorrow. I am making a low carb minestrone soup from veggies that I dehydrated last night. It's a taste check!

Have fun! For a treat, try some dehydrated watermelon. It tastes like cotton candy. And leathery and pliable are interchangeable. Crisp means like a potato chip.

Last edited:
OMG... I just found out that I can dehydrate spaghetti squash! I sure wish that I live on a farm. This will come in so handy for traveling in the motorhome.

Ah huh watermellon....YES! Thank you. I think I need another dehydrator already. LOL

geez, i thought this thread was about making soup from belts and shoes, like in the stories of depression era days... :huh:

What would you use dehydrated orange slices for?

Many moons ago, I dehydrated thinly sliced oranges and limes. I decorated wreaths, strung them as garlands, and used them as individual ornaments. They are really pretty, almost like stained glass.

This morning I was delivered a Excalibur food dehydrator. question , questions, questions. Can you over dry foods? lets say that I don't know what the leather and pliable actually looks like. lets just say....... OK I will..... I don't know. Can someone help me understand? there are lots of youtube on how to dehydrate but I haven't seen any to tell me when enough is enough.​
The apricot "leather" I bought in a supermarket in Jordan a few years back was pliable and the recipes I've seen since have implied that it should be the same.

I saw on another site a guy dehydrated watermelon. Sliced approx 1/2 -3/4 inch thick. Took 18 hours dehydrating time. When they were completely dry, he pulverized the slices into a powder. Put in a jar, the powdered watermelon was no longer bright red. More the color of chili powder, dark reddish brown. He didn't say how to use. I suppose one could sprinkle on ice cream, a custard pudding or on muffins tops with complementary fruit flavors inside.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom