"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Dehydrator Discussions

Old 06-26-2015, 11:15 PM   #1
Honey Badger

Mild Fire Starters

I've finally had the time and my dehydrator back in my possession to make a batch of jerky.
Somebody in my house who's name won't be mentioned keeps using it.I now have to stand in line to use my own stuff.Take a #!

This recipe is hot to my own tastes,mild to all the guys.They must have lead stomachs.

Here's the recipe.
3Lbs Top Round.London Broil (son special ordered it)
Had it cut to a 1/4" less if possible

2 1/2 Cups Franks Red Hot sauce
1 Cup of Tapatio hot sauce
2 1/2 Tablespoons of Red Pepper flakes
1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
I did add a little salt.Didn't bother measuring.

Mixed it all together.Then put it a large flavor sealed jar to marinate over night.In the fridge.Or until I decided to get out of bed.It had at least a 14 hr wait.

Dehydrated at 155 degrees for about 5 hours.
Some pieces didn't need that long.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:08 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Gee, I used to eat beef jerky that was very medley flavor with some heat. But not like that. London broil is what I buy to grind hamburg. I used to have a nice recipe for beef jerky. But it got lost somewhere over the years.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Anyone cold smoke or hot smoke the meat strips before drying?
Or would liquid smoke be a better idea.

I don't use good cuts like London Broil for jerky. But since I saw it on sale last week and it was very reasonable, I am going to try it. I bet it will be great.

Addie, how is that 99/0 ground meat work for burgers?
Old 06-27-2015, 11:29 PM   #4
Head Chef

That pic of the jerky with the red pepper flakes on it looks just wonderful. Very store bought looking.
I'm looking into buying a dehydrater . The one I used decades ago didn't work well. It was when they first became popular. I had to jury rig my own thermostat to it and come down in the middle of the night to rotate the trays. I bet they make better ones now. Feel free to recommend one, the best. Wow, some cost $300 now. The one I bought decades ago cost like $49 and had just a cheap heating element at the bottom.

I also should make a huge batch because I go to all that effort and consume the entire batch in about 1 hour.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:09 AM   #5
Head Chef

Here's one I'm thinking of buying, its $30 less at Home Depot compared to Amazon and Bed Bath and Beyond.

Nesco Square Dehydrator and Jerky Maker-FD-80 - The Home Depot
Old 06-28-2015, 12:23 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Looks good, Caslon. Nesco is a good, reliable brand.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:57 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Anyone cold smoke or hot smoke the meat strips before drying?
Or would liquid smoke be a better idea.

I don't use good cuts like London Broil for jerky. But since I saw it on sale last week and it was very reasonable, I am going to try it. I bet it will be great.

Addie, how is that 99/0 ground meat work for burgers?
I will ask the back room for a strip of suet. They usually give it to me for pennies. I add a small amount to the ground meat. There is usually a small piece of grizzle in middle of a London Broil. I cut it out. The I cut the suet into small pieces and place them throughout the cut up meat and grind them together. Without the suet, the meat cooks up tough for burgers. The suet brings out the flavor of beef and help make the meat less tough. And it gives the beef more juices.

I do this because the London Broil is on sale. And it gives me a way to watch my intake of fat. I only use the LB for hamburger. I never use it as a piece of meat to be eaten as it comes in the package. I find it too tough. If I had my way, I would just grind up the suet and use that for a hamburger. Then I would leave the London Broil in the store.

I also have a small package of cut off fat in the freezer. It is from the various pieces of meat I have bought that I consider to have an excessive amount of fat on it. More fat than I should eat in one sitting. So I cut off just some of it and freezer it for hamburger. Pork or beef fat. It all goes into the freezer to be used for such a purpose.

I am supposed to be on a medication for cholesterol that plays with your mind. You find yourself not remembering "that" word, that name, that date. You become very forgetful. Well I don' like that feeling. I am not ready to lose my faculties yet. So my alternative is to cut way back on my fat intake. So I no longer take the med, but I watch my fat intake. And it is working.

When all of this started a few years back, I really thought I was in the early stages of Alzheimer's. It was scary. I had the good sense to check to see if it was my meds or my mind.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:11 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

When all of this started a few years back, I really thought I was in the early stages of Alzheimer's. It was scary. I had the good sense to check to see if it was my meds or my mind.
You sure you're not just getting older? Welcome to the club.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:23 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Looks good, Caslon. Nesco is a good, reliable brand.
The only thing that concerns me a little about today's purchase order of the Nesco dehydrator FD-80 is that there's the exact same model available that's made not in China, but in the USA. It's the FD-80A. It's $30 more for the exact same unit that's made in the USA, not China. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:39 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
You sure you're not just getting older? Welcome to the club.
You would be surprised at what your meds can do to you. One med I was one had all the symptoms of a brain tumor. I am not on that one any more either.