Moldy venison jerky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MeLinda.H

Assistant Cook
We recently made some venison jerky using one of the commercial seasoning kits. Followed all the directions, dried it in the dehydrator for 6 hours at 160 degrees. Now, about 10 to 12 days later, it has molded in the ziplock bags. Anyone have any ideas what could have been done wrong? Any help appreciated! Thanks!

My guess would be you didn't dry it long enough. I took about 10-12 hours at 150F to do mine.

To much moisture , You must get all of the air out of the bag. Did you refrigerate? Bacteria grows best at room temp! Green or white mold? white is ok , green- not so.

First, make sure it is mold, and not salt 'blooming' out on the surface.

Next time, put your finished jerky in the freezer. I know, it should keep at room temp, but the freezer is extra insurance. Jerky is too much work to let the end product spoil.

I am told that you need to make sure the meat comes to 160 quickly before you begin the drying process, otherwise you may never kill off bacteria because the meat never gets hot enough and, in fact, spends a great deal of time at the ideal temp for blooming the critters.

Bacteria usually dont die in the freezer, they just go dormant and dont multiply.

I am told that you need to make sure the meat comes to 160 quickly before you begin the drying process, otherwise you may never kill off bacteria because the meat never gets hot enough and, in fact, spends a great deal of time at the ideal temp for blooming the critters.

Bacteria usually dont die in the freezer, they just go dormant and dont multiply.

My understanding is that is what the cure is for.

I'm on the fence with the temperature to dehydrate venison jerky.
I've used the preset dehydration temperature of 140 degrees F--and I can't set it to anything else.
I've thought of heating it to 160 degrees F, then dehydrating at 140 degrees F. I've also heard the cure takes care of preserving it.

We've used the 140 degrees F dehydrating overnight method for years........but again, that doesn't guarantee it is safe. Ours is gone within a few days and we refrigerate it.

Like I said, I'm on the fence--and I just received 3 lbs of venison for Christmas--and I need to figure out what method to use today or tomorrow. MMMM venison jerky!! Your thoughts?

When I made it I used Morton's TenderQuick for the overnight cure.

I used the smoker to do my drying (and add some smokiness) and tried to hold at 140-150F. I was led to understand that cooking starts at 160F which is not desirable for jerky.

I have done this twice, got great results, but I will admit I am far from an expert.

thanks Frank!

I use a salt and pepper and soy sauce marinade--usually only a few hours. (other flavors added)
I'm no expert either, I do love it though.

We recently made some venison jerky using one of the commercial seasoning kits. Followed all the directions, dried it in the dehydrator for 6 hours at 160 degrees. Now, about 10 to 12 days later, it has molded in the ziplock bags.

I've never done this and I don't know the directions you followed, but did you let the jerky sit out at room temperature long enough for it to completely cool? And then afterwards put in bags?

Also, as commented earlier, it seems to me you'd want to get as much air out of the bag as possible, particularly considering the air might be moist even if the jerky is dry.

Sounds to me like your jerky dehydrated at a constant temp of 160 was too high.
It had hardened the outside too fast for all the moisture from the inside to dehydrate slowly out. Trapping the moisture in.

Ziplocks are great for short periods of time. Around here long term storage isn't a problem. The jerky is usually gone by the next day.

If you can in the future, for long term storage invest in some Silica Gel Packets. They absorbs up to 15% of it's weight in water vapor. It's FDA approved. Not expensive at all. So 1 packet inserted into a flavor sealed bag should keep your jerky safe from mold.

Mylar bags can also be used for storing jerky.

Munky.

Last edited:
Big jerky store in Dundee Michigan. Signs all around the store "Do not store jerky in plastic". I asked them why not, the answer it has to have air.

You get plain brown lunch bags in the store and choose from many different meats and flavors.

I will still freeze in air-tight plastic bags, but place in paper to unthaw and store.

That makes a lot of sense, because enclosed air allows condensation and moisture allows mold growth. In a paper bag any excess moisture will evaporate into the surroundings and prevent enough accumulation to grow mold.

IT lasted 10 to 12 days? Wow mine never last more than a week. I always put it in zip lock bags and throw them in the fridge.

Before you reply to an old post, you can click on the user name (upper left of post). This will give you a drop down. Click on "View Public Profile" and you will see the last time the poster was active.;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom