Nevco dehydrator -- smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cdeato

Assistant Cook
I'm using my dehydrator for the first time, and there is a smell a little bit like burning plastic. It's not too strong...I'm probably the only one who's noticing it. At first I thought it would only last a little while, but it's been plugged in for hours. I'm sure it's from heating the element for the first time. I'll try cleaning the element before I use it again. Has anyone experienced anything similar? I'm worried about us breathing the fumes, plus afraid to give the fruit roll ups I'm making to my daughter.

Most new appliances do that in my experience. My new oven smelled the first 3 times I used it.
I doubt the fumes are anything to worry about, there's nothing actually burning in there.

Mine had a funny smell the first few times I used it - the food didn't have a funny flavor or smell to it, and nobody got sick from eating anything I made in it (beef jerky, banana chips, fruit leathers/rollups).

As for cleaning the heating element, IMHO I wouldn't. The metal is porous and it will give off a smell from whatever you use to clean it the next time you heat it up.

Like suziquzie said - I've never had a new appliance that didn't have a funny smell the first few times I used it.

Apparently, mcnerd - Chris (the OP) is making "fruit roll ups" on her inaugural attempt for her daughter if you reread her post.

Back
Top Bottom