Tainting The Dehydrator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JasperJ

Assistant Cook
Hi, I just got my first dehydrator, a Nesco Snackmaster Pro 700, and am wondering if it's possible to taint the unit with certain foods. I want to smoke some peppers in my smoker and dehydrate them. Can the smoke from the peppers and the pepper capsaicin stay in the dehydrator?

I'm worried it will taint other foods I do such as apples, bananas, etc.

Thanks for any info!

Hi, I just got my first dehydrator, a Nesco Snackmaster Pro 700, and am wondering if it's possible to taint the unit with certain foods. I want to smoke some peppers in my smoker and dehydrate them. Can the smoke from the peppers and the pepper capsaicin stay in the dehydrator?

Thanks for any info!

I don't think you can. Are you able to wipe down the inside unit with a soapy cloth? Just in case?

You can remove the sheets, screens and trays and wash them by hand in hot soapy water. Before you dry any other fruits and veggies. That should avoid any problems.

I've put jerky on my smoker, brought it in after a few hours and finished dehydrating the slices. Haven't had a problem with any residual tastes or smells from it.

Munky.

Thanks! Yes, the trays are all easily washed. I was more worried the smoke smell would stick around in the electrical (non-washable) part of the dehydrator such as the fan and heating element.

Thanks! Yes, the trays are all easily washed. I was more worried the smoke smell would stick around in the electrical (non-washable) part of the dehydrator such as the fan and heating element.

I don't think that will be a problem. It shouldn't be.

The only things I've read about to be careful of is grease and moisture dripping onto the heating element. People having to rotate the trays because of the circulation and fan location.

Munky..

Thanks for any info!

I just got the same one! I am looking forward to getting started with mine as well!

This model dehydrator has the fan and element on top. Trays are all below.

Cheers,

Jasper

Back
Top Bottom