Veggie and fruit Leathers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I jsut did a very quick google search for tomato leather, inspired by the thread on dehydrated tomatoes. it seems you can make virtually any fruit or veggie, that would work as a sauce, into a leather. I saw recipes for pumpkin, strawberry, blueberry, tomato, and others. The beauty of these leathers is that they can all be used as a dried snack, or added to liquid to dissolve back into a sauce. They store in very little space, and require just a little prep work. I am definitely going to have to make a backyard dehydrator. I have an electric one, but want to let the sun provide the energy. I just need a little plywood, a few 2X4's and some screen to let the air flow through. I'll make a small solar air collector with the exhaust running into an enclosed wooden box that will have the screens for the food to sit on, and a chimney to let the warm air escape. A little convection, and Ive got myself a sun-powered dehydrator. This will be a good project.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Oh...now I need a food dehydrator!!! I have to try making blueberry leather. :). I just love blueberry anything!!!

Back
Top Bottom