"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Dehydrator Discussions

Old 11-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #11
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post

Munky, thank you again! I feel like I'm in your kitchen and you are teaching me. Love it.
Let's make jerky again!
I've got some Buffalo in the freezer

Old 11-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
I've got some Buffalo in the freezer
I don't know if that is really funny or not. I used up all my caribou and I couldn't believe how much I liked salmon jerky, it was awesome.

I have a garbage container with muskrat and raccoon carcasses in it today--somehow I can't make it sound delectable. (from a trapper friend)

Old 11-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #13
Honey Badger

Quote:
I don't know if that is really funny or not. I used up all my caribou and I couldn't believe how much I liked salmon jerky, it was awesome.

I have a garbage container with muskrat and raccoon carcasses in it today--somehow I can't make it sound delectable. (from a trapper friend)
I meant it to be funny. The butcher sent over a large package of it. I've never had buffalo. Don't know what to do with it. So it sits in the freezer..

We don't see muskrats or coons in my part of the neighborhood. Coon jerky? Muskrat luv? spicy or hot jerky?

If people can make a dish using squirrel. I don't see why anything else that's wild couldn't be used to create some new jerky recipes..

Munky.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
I meant it to be funny. The butcher sent over a large package of it. I've never had buffalo. Don't know what to do with it. So it sits in the freezer..

We don't see muskrats or coons in my part of the neighborhood. Coon jerky? Muskrat luv? spicy or hot jerky?

If people can make a dish using squirrel. I don't see why anything else that's wild couldn't be used to create some new jerky recipes..

Munky.
Oh no........please don't take me wrong.........I think buffalo would be great!!!!!!!! I just meant it's practical, well, it is to me.

Buffalo would make great jerky, it's so lean, you might want to try to buffalo-pork mix and try those sticks again. You are so lucky to have a butcher that will share that with you.

Muskrat luv

I think people could make a dish using squirrel, or muskrat or coon, I just can't get my stomach around it. Maybe if I was hungrier it would sound better to me. More power to anyone that can do that. Maybe I'm just a wuss.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #15
Honey Badger

Quote:
Oh no........please don't take me wrong.........I think buffalo would be great!!!!!!!! I just meant it's practical, well, it is to me.

Buffalo would make great jerky, it's so lean, you might want to try to buffalo-pork mix and try those sticks again. You are so lucky to have a butcher that will share that with you.

Muskrat luv

I think people could make a dish using squirrel, or muskrat or coon, I just can't get my stomach around it. Maybe if I was hungrier it would sound better to me. More power to anyone that can do that. Maybe I'm just a wuss.
Oh no, I didn't take that comment in the wrong way. I just wanted to make sure that you knew I was just kidding around. Venison jerky was my first experience working with it in any way shape or form. Still feel bad for Bambi's Mother.. Now I see her in a whole new light. I like it

Our butcher is just awesome. He knows I like to cook. If he gets an order for a particular meat, he orders a little extra and sends some my way. Last week he had an order for Alligator.. ??

I'll have to do some research on how to work with buffalo.. It's new to. If the settlers could make jerky with it way back when so can I.

I'm a wuss with squirrels. They are soooo cute. I can't eat them

Munky.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:02 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

I'm a jerky freak and am making jerky almost every weekend. I've tried several different tools, but the best is "Weston Jerky Gun". I bought it on Amazon for about $40. It's the best jerky gun I've ever tried. Very easy to use and clean, durable, great quality. Highly recommended.
For those who love jerky, I would also recommend to buy "Jerky Bible" book. You can find it at Amazon. I have (had) all jerky books that I could find, but "Jerky Bible" is really the best.