"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Dehydrator Discussions

Old 04-02-2015, 08:17 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Garlic. In Ohio I couldn't keep garlic for very long so I dehydrated a lot of it. It will make a noticeable aroma in the house.. I have about 250 plants growing right now and plan on dehydrating again here in NM.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:33 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I am very glad to see this, totally forgot about dehydrating garlic. I bought a big bag from Costco.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Deer meat, aka jerky
Old 04-02-2015, 09:37 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Venison makes awesome jerky.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:03 PM   #15
Master Chef

I'm going to have to look for a used one. I'm inspired...although I have no counter space for one, I could park it outside on a table plugged in, right?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:38 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Kay, mine resides in the basement on a shelf with my canning supplies, along with all the extra trays. I don't leave it upstairs permanently, though I suppose you could.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:46 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm going to have to look for a used one. I'm inspired...although I have no counter space for one, I could park it outside on a table plugged in, right?
You sure could, Kay - if you're in an area where critters aren't a problem and you can see your outside table from the part of your house where you reside the most, and can keep an eye on it. I have limited counter space too, and back a few years ago when I bought my used dehydrator, I put it on the patio table and plugged it into the outdoor outlets during the day. I could see it from the kitchen, dining room and living room, so it was easy to keep an eye on.

I've even plugged my Nesco roaster into the patio outlet during the summer and let dinner cook outside. I wouldn't leave anything overnight, though.

I'm getting inspired, too. I just brought my dehydrator in from the garage to clean up and use again. Thank you for this thread, Maelinde. There are so many good ideas here.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Kay, mine resides in the basement on a shelf with my canning supplies, along with all the extra trays. I don't leave it upstairs permanently, though I suppose you could.
Mine live in the basement. I bring them up when I want to dehydrate s/thing. Stinky stuff gets dehydrated on the deck. I hate clutter on my counter tops. I only have two knife blocks and my rack of cutting boards on the counter. Everything else has a place, and is in its place. And no, Andy, no kitchen items are stored in a powder room.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:42 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Mine is the size of a rather large microwave. Its an Excalibur 9-tray. I'm very fortunate to have counter space for it to live there permanently. I've seen many smaller models that people love, so there is something for everyone.

If you don't mind used, check your local thrift stores and yard sales. They most likely won't still have the manual, but those can often be downloaded online. A friend of mine found one at her local thrift store for $5 and it looked like it had never been used - box and manual with registration card all intact.

Got more tangelos done and I can't stop eating those. They taste just like candy! I wish we still had bananas, I'd make more banana chips. We just keep eating them fresh before getting a chance to dehydrate them.

We're going to freeze, slice and marinate the beef tonight and then dehydrate the jerky tomorrow to have some snacks for the Ren Faire this weekend. Hopefully we'll still have tangelo slices left to bring - that is if I don't eat them all.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs
should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein
Maelinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:02 PM   #20
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I love doing pear leather with ours. And of course jerky (beef or deer)