"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 06-04-2009, 07:42 AM   #11
Master Chef

A favorite of mine. I often add a pierced or halved lemon to the garlic. The way I learned it was to not peel the garlic, and it sure makes it easier.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:54 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Ah yeah, looks great! I'm gonna try something like it. I love garlic. I almost didn't read the thread because I assumed it meant "Cloves". LOL

SRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Thank you everyone for your kind words, Hello SRL, One thing you got to know about me right now that I don't have good grammar, but my spelling gotten way better!

Oh guess what everyone?

The stove is on the fritz It took 3 hours to cook this chicken, I put it back in the oven this morning for an another hour and a half, So what I'm saying it's not heating to 350 like it should and I've called maintenance.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
Head Chef

Derek, I asked about the cloves instead of garlic because that happened to me once. I lived in an apartment with two other guys during my senior year of college, and we took turns cooking all our own food. We didn't know much, but we had a cookbook (Betty Crocker or Good Housekeeping or something like that) so we experimented. My girlfriend, who is now my wife, knew even less than we did.

One evening it was my turn to cook and the meal was Swiss Steak. My GF read the instructions and I did the work. When she told me to add 4 cloves, it seemed perfectly normal to me, and I did what she said the recipe said to do. Of course, what the recipe really said was 4 cloves of GARLIC, a difference that was lost on her. The result was very weird Swiss Steak!

Imagine a chicken roasted with 40 cloves!
Old 06-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #15
Head Chef

BTW, the dish was made famous by James Beard. Here's a link to his version of the recipe:

Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic

It's very, very good. The garlic becomes quite mild and buttery, like roasted garlic.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
Derek, I asked about the cloves instead of garlic because that happened to me once. I lived in an apartment with two other guys during my senior year of college, and we took turns cooking all our own food. We didn't know much, but we had a cookbook (Betty Crocker or Good Housekeeping or something like that) so we experimented. My girlfriend, who is now my wife, knew even less than we did.

One evening it was my turn to cook and the meal was Swiss Steak. My GF read the instructions and I did the work. When she told me to add 4 cloves, it seemed perfectly normal to me, and I did what she said the recipe said to do. Of course, what the recipe really said was 4 cloves of GARLIC, a difference that was lost on her. The result was very weird Swiss Steak!

Imagine a chicken roasted with 40 cloves!
I betcha you had a smile so you wouldn't hurt your ole ladies feelings right? and I wish I had freinds that would cook with me instead of being too busy, but that's what college will before, It will be making freinds that will not be too busy for you, It will be learning about photography and cooking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
BTW, the dish was made famous by James Beard. Here's a link to his version of the recipe:

Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic

It's very, very good. The garlic becomes quite mild and buttery, like roasted garlic.
I will try it out next time I make it.

Here's Altons Brown's 40 clove chicken, And I'm pretty sure I didn't make the mistake and mis read it. 40 Cloves and a Chicken Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
Old 06-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #17
Head Chef

Well, she wasn't that old -- then! ;-) Anyway, we didn't have much money and would eat just about anything, so the clovey Swiss Steak got eaten. We probably just opened a couple of extra cans of beer to wash it down.

Thanks for the link to Alton Brown's recipe. I like his style, and in a sense he's the James Beard of this day and age. Interesting to compare the two versions -- and I'm a little surprised to see that Brown's version is actually simpler than Beard's -- which is really easy to make.

One difference -- Beard says NOT to peel the garlic, which is easier. You just separate the cloves and count them out. The skins hold the garlic together as it turns to a creamy paste, and you can then squeeze it out onto the bread slices. Or some people eat the skins as they get pretty tender and sometimes disappear.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Scotch, I was just using the term losely I knew from your you guys were pretty young in college, and you guy's had a good excuse to drink. cheers!

Yup your right, Alton's cooking rock, and I was thinking, Well I loved garlic so I pelled 40 cloves in about ten minutes.

The meat was so tasty I had 2 drum sticks, 2 thighs, and the rest I put away for chicken noodle soup.

By the way, I normally don't eat anything with chicken, I guess you know It must be really goopd!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Maintenance was over and he said the stove was 125 degree's off from what it should have read!

Tags
None