A Christmas Turkey Horror Story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My BIL roasts his turkeys upside down on purpose. Apparently the first time he did this, he flipped it right side up halfway. What a hot mess. Now he just leaves them breast side down completely. He also uses probe and instant read thermometers, so his come out pretty juicy moist and not overcooked.

Well, we did this. And we were both old enough to know better. Could not find the packet of giblets inside the bird. Finally after a complete cave exploration and head scratching, gave up and decided that they didn’t include it. Didn’t stuff the bird other than some chopped onion, apples, whatever. On carving up the bird, voila’ – there was that pesky packet of giblets that I really wished we had to make stock for gravy. :ermm:

If you don't know, you don't know. And for all we know, maybe it was cooked correctly and was just a bad bird.

My mom opened a bacon package she had just gotten from the store the day before and it reeked to high heaven. She wouldn't cook it and got her money back from the store. She tossed the whole pound. I baked some frozen fries out of a bag once and 4" from my nose, one of the french fries smelled like an outhouse. I tossed the whole bag (and haven't bought another one since). Bad stuff gets into packaging sometimes.

Throwing out food that smells bad is obviously not the same as throwing out 20 pounds of poultry because the breast isn't where you thought it should be. And I understand that people don't always know what they're doing. I'm just surprised they threw this away without asking for help first.

I'm just blown away that someone threw away 20 pounds of poultry because they didn't know how to butcher it. Is there really no one you could ask first? Send a picture to a friend or family member, or take a picture of it to the Kroger grocery store where you work and ask in the butcher department?

Me too. It's really hard to believe somebody wouldn't flip it over while they were trying to figure out what was wrong.

+1

My BIL roasts his turkeys upside down on purpose. Apparently the first time he did this, he flipped it right side up halfway. What a hot mess. Now he just leaves them breast side down completely. He also uses probe and instant read thermometers, so his come out pretty juicy moist and not overcooked.

Well, we did this. And we were both old enough to know better. Could not find the packet of giblets inside the bird. Finally after a complete cave exploration and head scratching, gave up and decided that they didn’t include it. Didn’t stuff the bird other than some chopped onion, apples, whatever. On carving up the bird, voila’ – there was that pesky packet of giblets that I really wished we had to make stock for gravy. :ermm:

I roast my turkeys upside down for the first half of roasting, then carefully using a few layers of paper towels in each hand I am able to turn it quite easy.
For Christmas I received a pair of oven gloves. The kind that you can wash. I think the outside is silicone. Juice proof outside. Soft inside.
So now it will be even easier. The last bird I had to flip over was 23 pounds.
Even though its not to hard to do, it is a bit of a deal when its time to turn it. But worth it.
Fully roasting upside down seems like a fine idea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom