"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2016, 03:10 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

A Christmas Turkey Horror Story

I'm a novice cook. I cook for myself but like to try making things during the holidays, like my parents did when I was younger. At thanksgiving I bought a .69$/lb kroger(where I work) frozen turkey. Even though I only thawed it for roughly 12 hours and, I had a problem with the new pan I bought because it was too big for the oven, it turned out pretty well. It looked like a turkey when it was cooked and tasted good.

At Christmas, I bought a fresh turkey, didn't even look at the brand and threw it into the oven. It was big, about 20lbs. When I took it out of the oven and began to cut threw the skin, looking for familiar parts, I was aghast. The place where I expected the breast to be, was more bone than anything. Most of the meat I found was dark, almost reddish meat and couldn't find much white meat on the whole bird. I ended up throwing the whole thing away. I guess I'm trying to make sense of the it all and what can I do to find the best possible turkey in the future. One of the worst things to note, is that when I went back to find out what brand it is, it ended up being a Honeysuckle, supposedly one of the best rated brands for turkeys. A few questions come to mind:

Are there different species of turkey? The only thing I took note of on the honeysuckle packaging was it said "young turkey". Is this different from other types? Is there such a things as a bad bird, like bad fruit or that gets past quality control or something.

What brands of turkey should I look for? Kroger sells Butterball and I recall my family buying those years ago. I saw a Free Range Turkey from a local company that was vacuum packed in plastic, so I could see what I was getting. Is Free Range considered better quality?

Any thoughts or opinions on this is welcome.

CookingConundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:55 AM   #2
Executive Chef

After only 12 hours of thawing, your earlier successful turkey was probably less than the 20 lbs. As to what freakish thing you bought and cooked and carved into...you got me. Nothing familiar? hehe. A freak turkey?

Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:46 AM   #3
Master Chef

If you cut into bone where you thought the breast would be you probably cooked it upside down
Old 12-28-2016, 09:47 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I think Jenny has it. Bones and mostly dark meat is on the back.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Buying a turkey and throwing it into the oven is hardly the way to prepare a turkey IMO.
Maybe a little research before attempting to cook something may be in your best interest.
Like coming here and asking.
I have never in my life heard of a turkey without breast meat. I agree with the others you most likely had it upside down.
Then you threw away the whole thing? The breast meat, most likely, was just perfect.
Didn't you see the legs and wings? Why toss them out?
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Are you sure you bought a turkey?
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

A Christmas Turkey Horror Story

Wondering the same thing. And I agree with it being upside down. Though after rooting through the entire carcass, he would probably have found the breast eventually.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:05 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Hmmm CC, me thinks we have some leg pulling going on here.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

As embarrassing as it sounds, that must be what happened, I put it in upside down. Thanks for the feedback :). That's what I get for being hasty I guess.

So here's a practical question. What can be done to enhance the flavor of a turkey before and during cooking process? I read one thread about brining or soaking meat in milk, another that says not a lot helps, just don't overcook, and it won't be dry.
CookingConundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:11 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Are you sure you bought a turkey?
That was kinda/sorta my first thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingConundrum View Post
Are there different species of turkey? The only thing I took note of on the honeysuckle packaging was it said "young turkey". Is this different from other types? Is there such a things as a bad bird, like bad fruit or that gets past quality control or something.

What brands of turkey should I look for? Kroger sells Butterball and I recall my family buying those years ago. I saw a Free Range Turkey from a local company that was vacuum packed in plastic, so I could see what I was getting. Is Free Range considered better quality?

Any thoughts or opinions on this is welcome.
I don't know about different species but a wild turkey is a different beast then a domestic turkey.

In either case you don't want to overcook.

Fresh or frozen is less of an issue to me then brined or un-brined.
You're more likely to get an un-brined turkey from fresh rather then frozen.

Now how a turkey can be upside down is a mystery to me.
Yet I have to admit that most of the time I don't know if I'm coming or going.

Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christmas, other, turkey, turkey breast