A la king recipe please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CHICKEN A LA KING WITH HERBED BISCUITS

1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 ounces button mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped yellow onions
1/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry sherry
1/2 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth, heated
2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
3 large egg yolks
Quick Cooked Chicken, diced, recipe follows, or 2 1/2 cups shredded or diced cooked chicken
1 teaspoon chopped parsley leaves
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Herb Biscuits, recipe follows, split in 1/2

Combine the milk and cream and heat to a simmer. Cover to keep hot.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers and cook until the vegetables are soft and the mushrooms give off their liquid, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of the sherry and cook until nearly all evaporated, about 1 minute. Add the heated milk and cream and stir. Add the chicken stock, return to a boil, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Add the tarragon, salt, and pepper and stir well to incorporate. Remove from the heat.

Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl until pale yellow and frothy, about 2 minutes. Add about 1/2 cup of the hot sauce to the yolks, whisking constantly. Slowly add the egg yolk mixture to the remaining sauce, stirring until well blended. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons sherry, stir well, and return to medium heat. Fold in the chicken, parsley, and lemon juice and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes.

To serve, arrange 2 biscuit halves on each of 4 large plates. Spoon 1/4 cup of the sauce over each half and serve immediately.

Quick Cooked Chicken:
1 carrot, roughly chopped
1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
1/2 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Arrange the chopped vegetables in the center of a large piece of heavy aluminum foil.
Lightly season the chicken breasts on both sides with the salt and pepper and place on top of the vegetables. Fold over the sides of the aluminum foil to tightly seal, place on a baking sheet, and bake until the chicken is cooked through, 30 to 35 minutes, depending upon the size of the breasts.

Carefully unwrap the foil packet and let sit until the chicken is cool enough to shred or dice.

Yield: 2 1/2 cups

Herb Biscuits:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup cold vegetable shortening
2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
1 tablespoon chopped assorted soft herbs, such as chives, basil, parsley, and chervil

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda into a large bowl. Cut in the shortening and butter and work with your fingertips or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Whisk together the buttermilk and herbs in a small bowl, add to the dry ingredients, and blend just until the dough is moist and pliable, being careful not to overwork.

Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and using floured hands, pat into a 3/4-inch thick rectangle. Using a floured 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut into rounds, gathering, re-patting, and cutting the dough scraps until all the dough is used.

Place the rounds on an ungreased baking sheet and bake until the biscuits are set and the tops are light golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Serve hot.

Yield: 6 (3-inch) biscuits

This recipe is quite lengthy but it's fabulous and well worth the work.

Enjoy!

Dina

Another one from Grandma Snarr

Actually, this recipe came from her dear friend, Geno, but it's the one she always made, and it's so good. She used to serve it in homemade choux puffs.

Chicken A La King

2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms (or 1/2 cup drained canned ones)
1 med size green pepper (grandma used chopped celery instead)
3 tbls butter
2 tbls flour
1 tsp salt
small jar pimentoes
2 hard boiled eggs
pepper
1 cup thick cream

Cut cooked chicken crosswise. Simmer pepper & mushrooms with 3 tbls butter. Make cream sauce by adding flour and milk and stirring until thickened. When done, add chicken, chopped eggs and other ingredients.
(Rich chicken broth is a delicious substitute for flour and milk.)

Looking at this recipe, I think my mom made a mistake when she copied it.
I think it probably would use 2 cups of liquid, and am guessing that would be one cup of milk, since that's mentioned in the directions, and 1 cup of heavy cream...or 2 cups chicken broth...or any combination of the above.

Mine is even simpler. (But likely not as gourmet as either of the two preceding ones)

Chop up leftover turkey or chicken, dice an onion, and some veggies, peppers if you have them. Saute all these in a frying pan. Add some chicken broth, a bit of leftover gravy and a can of cream of mushroom soup. Let bubble for a while and serve on toast. Mmmmmmmmm!

Alix said:
Mine is even simpler. (But likely not as gourmet as either of the two preceding ones)

Chop up leftover turkey or chicken, dice an onion, and some veggies, peppers if you have them. Saute all these in a frying pan. Add some chicken broth, a bit of leftover gravy and a can of cream of mushroom soup. Let bubble for a while and serve on toast. Mmmmmmmmm!

Mix with some cooked pasta & parmesan cheese, and call it Tetrazinni!

Ain't that mushroom soup great? They even had it in my great granny's time...it was a new product back then!

Hey Alix. Your recipe sounds simple and delicious! I love cream of mushroom, even if it's canned. I'll try your quick version since I don't have enough time to do much from scratch anymore. Thanks for posting it.

Dina

Back
Top Bottom