Alix's Chicken Cacciatore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Another favorite in our house is Chicken Cacciatore and man is that one fast and easy meal. Kids love it. Use either chicken breast or deboned thighs. Place in casserole dish, sprinkle brown sugar on each piece of meat. (about 1 tsp each) In a small bowl, mix together 1 can tomato soup, and fill can with salsa and add to soup, toss in some oregano and basil and stir til blended. Spoon over the meat, and be generous. Sprinkle lots of mozzarella over all, cover and bake for 40 minutes or so. When there is only 5-10 minutes left, uncover and sprinkle more cheese on. The original cheese will have melted into the sauce and this last bit is to just brown up a bit while you toss the salad and serve up. Serve with pasta, the sauce is excellent with it.

Copied, pasted and printed. Thanks, Alix. I'll bet the brown sugar really adds a unique flavor. Can't wait to try it.

I'll say that my kids gobble it up! Ken is no slouch with it either. If we haven't had this in a while he starts to get a bit cranky.

I'd say no to tomato juice. Tomato sauce might be thick enough. LT, if you make your own tomato soup ever why don't you make a bit extra and save some for this. You'd need to reduce it a bunch though. The condensed nature of the soup works well here because the chicken gives off a lot of liquid and makes the sauce the perfect consistency. If I were going to sub something, I'd do tomato sauce and up the brown sugar a bit.

I wouldn't call that Chicken Cacciatore, but it sure sounds quick and tasty. I'd use tomato sauce, too... :)

So what would you call it? Its got all the requirements of cacciatore (tomato, onion, peppers, and herbs) its just got a "quick prep" method. I'm good with another name, just need a suggestion.

I'm going to try this.....thank you Alix, it sounds really good.

By the way, it may not be the classic recipe......that's why it's called
"Alix's Chicken Cacciatore"....works for me.

I'd say no to tomato juice. Tomato sauce might be thick enough. LT, if you make your own tomato soup ever why don't you make a bit extra and save some for this. You'd need to reduce it a bunch though. The condensed nature of the soup works well here because the chicken gives off a lot of liquid and makes the sauce the perfect consistency. If I were going to sub something, I'd do tomato sauce and up the brown sugar a bit.

Actually I'd use the tomato soup, but the house brands around here taste nasty. I tried them all and just decided they wouldn't do. Maybe I'll just get a Campbell's. I always liked the specific flavor of a good cream of tomato soup to cook with.

I've never been a fan of cooking with condensed soups, with the exception of celery and chicken, which I will use for a quick "Souped - up" rice .

I especially don't like using mushroom soup...............

I've never been a fan of cooking with condensed soups, with the exception of celery and chicken, which I will use for a quick "Souped - up" rice .

I especially don't like using mushroom soup...............

A lot depends on the brand you use. Campbell's is usually tasty, but pricy. House brands are sometimes just as good.

I too especially like celery and chicken because they are bland enough that they don't take over my dish. I like using either of them to melt cheese in for mac & cheese.

They can be good for adding to drippings to make a gravy and easy because you can just mix flour right into the soup for thickening if needed. This is where the Gravy Master comes in handy for color.

I also used to use tomato in some dishes for the sweetness and color, but as I mentioned before, the cheap-o brands taste funny so I don't use them.

If they aren't good enough to heat up for a quick lunch, I won't use them for cooking.

Last edited:
This does sound easy and tasty. I'll have to try it. I think my guys would like it. I use store brand cream of soups for cooking except for tomato. That will always be Campbells. Have tried the off-brand tomato soups and they do taste awful even in recipes. If I were to sub tomato sauce for the soup, I think I would be adding some tomato paste to thicken it up.

This does sound easy and tasty. I'll have to try it. I think my guys would like it. I use store brand cream of soups for cooking except for tomato. That will always be Campbells. Have tried the off-brand tomato soups and they do taste awful even in recipes. If I were to sub tomato sauce for the soup, I think I would be adding some tomato paste to thicken it up.

I think I'll just get some Campbell's. When soup is used, it adds a distinctive flavor. Adding tomato sauce and especially tomato paste adds a different flavor entirely, and are very strong.

In this case, I want to make the original recipe first, especially knowing that the tomato soup can make some recipes really wow.

Campbell's Tomato Soup, in a pan with water added, when hot poured in a cup and float a bit of butter...serve with grilled cheese...only way I ever use it. I will try Alix's recipe as written first. But I don't guarantee it'll stay thay way.

Campbell's Tomato Soup, in a pan with water added, when hot poured in a cup and float a bit of butter...serve with grilled cheese...only way I ever use it. I will try Alix's recipe as written first. But I don't guarantee it'll stay thay way.

I like it rich with evaporated milk, and a big blob of butter. I'd use milk, but I always drink it up first. LOL

I want to try the recipe as written first too. I've used tomato soup in certain dishes in the past, where it just gives it a wow factor that you can't substitute for, and especially since the recipe also calls for brown sugar, I'm sure the sweetness is part of the whole flavor.

Happy New Year, Princess.:LOL:

I like it rich with evaporated milk, and a big blob of butter. I'd use milk, but I always drink it up first. LOL

I want to try the recipe as written first too. I've used tomato soup in certain dishes in the past, where it just gives it a wow factor that you can't substitute for, and especially since the recipe also calls for brown sugar, I'm sure the sweetness is part of the whole flavor.

Happy New Year, Princess.:LOL:

Yep, the sweetness IS part of the flavor. And I just love the way we all work with a recipe til it "speaks" to us.

Yep, the sweetness IS part of the flavor. And I just love the way we all work with a recipe til it "speaks" to us.

And I love how we can talk about tweaking until it suits us, without hurting your feelings. I just don't care for "sweet" that much, I'm sure my version of sweet and sour would disappoint a few folks.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom