Allen’s Cheesy Fiesta Chicken and Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
I had to wing dinner tonight, and here's what I ended up making:

Yields: ~ 8 servings

4 T vegetable oil
1 c chopped onions
1 c chopped green bell peppers
4 T frozen peas, optional
4 T frozen corn, optional
2 t minced garlic
One 15 oz can diced tomatoes
2 T Mexican Seasoning Mix
2 t cumin
1 t chili powder
1 t oregano
3 c rice
4 ¾ c chicken stock
One 10 oz can Campbell’s Nacho Fiesta Cheese
Milk to fill the cheese sauce can
Cooked, diced chicken
4 t salt, or to taste

In a stockpot or large soup pot, heat the oil. Add the onions, bell peppers, garlic, tomatoes, and if you desire, the peas and corn. Season with the Mexican Seasoning Mix, cumin, chili powder, and oregano. Sauté over medium heat until the onions are soft and beginning to become translucent. Add the rice and sauté until the rice is toasty. Add the diced tomatoes and stir until it’s fairly well blended. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook this mixture until the tomatoes begins to caramelize a bit. Add the chicken stock, cheese sauce, and bring to a boil. While that is heating, fill the cheese can with milk and stir with a spoon to get as much of the cheese off the sides, then pour that into the pot. Add the chicken. Stir to make sure everything is mixed well. Check the seasoning and add more salt if needed. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 18 minutes. When done, fluff with a fork and serve.

Ok, here's what actually happened:
1) I used a pan that was a little to small, nor did I add enough stock, at first. It took a few minutes for me to realize that a total of 3 c of liquid for 3 c of rice is not enough. I had to pour it off into a bigger pan and add more stock.
2) Of course, Murphy's Law prevails. My stove-top decided to pull it's usual, and NOT go down to a simmer from a rolling boil. I discovered this when I went to pour the mix into the bigger pan. So, the bottom of the smaller pan was scorched.
3) It needs to be TWO cans of Fiesta Nacho Cheese sauce. Reduce the stock to 3 3/4 c, and use enough milk to fill both cans once. I ended up adding some grated co-jack cheese to it as soon as it was done cooking, stirring it, and started bowling it up.

Results:
Not bad, actually. I can't really detect a scorched flavor. The seasoning needs work. For my family, it's probably perfect, but I like a stronger flavor. I'll probably bump the cumin and chili powder up a bit. The Mexican mix that I make, while good, does tend to add to much heat.

Sounds good Allen!!! I could probably eat for a week if I put my mind to not going to the grocery store and using what I had on hand - except for a few fresh ingredients anyway - and someone watching me to make sure I didn't buy anything else :rolleyes: :cool:

Normally, that's the way we are as well. We were going to get groceries this afternoon, and PeppA got called in. I had to wait until she came home, as she had the money.

I know I've posted this recipe many times before, but I can't find one to link to it!

Mexican Seasoning Mix

¼ c chili powder
¼ c cumin
¼ c ground coriander
¼ c granulated garlic
1/8 c ground black pepper
1/8 c red pepper flakes
1 T salt

Blend together and store in an airtight container.

Back
Top Bottom