"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 02-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #11
Head Chef
AllenOK: I just made the cream of mushroom soup, with garlic, onion and seasoned with ground black pepper, earlier this week. It is soo good!
I made a slow cooker veggie/cheese lasagna. I put this mixture in the bottom of the dish and then a layer of uncooked lasagna noodles. Then the seasoned tomato sauce, a layer of bells & onions, cheese mixture, more noodles and so on. It cooks in about 6 hours.
I add 1/2 cup water to the mushroom soup and a full cup to the tomato sauce for the moisture needed to cook the noodles.
It makes a white sauce/red sauce lasagna that is unique and very good.
When in season I will use fresh mushrooms with the bells & onions and probably some zucchini too.

I keep canned soups in my pantry as a staple as most people do. I also use frozen bells & onions. It is off season and fresh produce is not so plentiful.
I am going to try your technique for cutting the breast piece for stuffing. Slicing from the side just makes two layers and not a pocket. Did you use seasoned bread crumbs or plain.
I am more of an herbs & spice person than salt. Although in cookies & sweets the salt will perk up the sugar and make it taste better....hence that dab of salt is good for something after all!

StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #12
Executive Chef
StirBlue, your lasagne recipe sounds intriguing.

I've never tried frozen onions.

Mushrooms don't really have a "season", unless you are buying some wild variety that cannot be cultivated. "Button" mushrooms take two weeks to mature, from "planting" to harvesting. There's a really interesting eppy of "Dirty Jobs" that shows how mushroom farmers work. All they really have to do is split their total growing volume into two different times, and "plant" one half one week, the second half the second week, harvest and replant the first one the third week, harvest and replant the second half the fourth week, etc., ad naseum.

Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:00 PM   #13
Head Chef
Then I assume that we must have seasonal prices!!!

I check the expiration date on some expensive dairy products like ricotta cheese. Then I recheck it a few days before the date. The store always runs an in-store special on it. This saves me major bucks.
I wish they would do that with fresh fruit & veggies. They have some yellow squash right now that is $2.49 per lb. It is quite rotten. They removed the rotten $2.49 per lb. zucchini (didn't replace it either).
I never ever buy close to expiration date dried herbs & spices though. They are no good.
I will pay the high price for fresh raspberries & blueberries. It's time to make that Presidential Cake.

StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote