"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-05-2007, 09:36 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Allen’s Duxelle Stuffed Baked Chicken Breasts

I made this for dinner tonight. I got to thinking about it a couple of days ago at work, and decided to do it. PeppA, my other half, likes it. The only changes that I did, compared to what's mentioned here, is that I used Roasted Garlic Puree, both in the duxelle and in the sauce, as well as using a little milk to thin down the mushroom soup. I didn't think about all the liquid the chicken breasts would release as they cooked, so you don't want to thin it down to much.

Allen’s Duxelle Stuffed Baked Chicken Breasts
Yields: 8 servings

For the Duxelle:
4 – 5 large mushrooms, ~ 2 oz
¼ c chopped onions
1 t minced garlic
-or- 1 – 2 T Roasted Garlic Puree
1 T oil
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ c bread crumbs
For the Chicken:
8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Thyme
Sage
One 12 oz can Cream of Mushroom Soup
¼ c chicken stock
Oil for sautéing

For the duxelle; in a food processor, combine the mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Process until finely minced. Heat a sauté pan and add the oil. Sauté the duxelle mixture until soft, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Off the heat, mix in the bread crumbs.
To stuff the breasts, lay each breast out flat, and using a thin, sharp knife, slide the blade into the thickest part of the breast, making the cut lengthways, parallel to the cutting board, and not poking through the sides. You want a long, thin, “pocket”, with the only hole being at the thick end. Hold the breast up, so the thin part hangs down, the opening faces up, and stuff with enough of the duxelle to fill the pocket, but not to “burst the seams”. This is easily done by hand when the mixture is cold, however, if you have a piping bag, you can pipe the warm duxelle into the chicken.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Season the chicken to taste with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, and sage. Heat a sauté pan with some oil. Brown the chicken breasts, and arrange in a 9 x 13” baking pan. Deglaze the skillet with chicken stock, then add the cream of mushroom soup. Bring to a simmer, stirring to make the sauce smooth. Once it’s smooth, pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover with foil, and place in the oven. Bake for 1 hour.
NOTE: You need to check the temperature of the stuffing with a probe thermometer. The stuffing needs to reach 165°F to eliminate any risk of salmonella.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
Master Chef

Ohhhh this sounds wonderful. Def. adding it to my chicken recipe box. Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-06-2007, 11:42 AM   #3
Master Chef

Sounds wonderful - both delicious & easy!! Thanks!!
Old 02-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Sounds great! I was wondering: I'm in college and usually just fixing for one. On the duxelle, would I need to simply reduce those amounts by 1/8? Or should I just make the recipe as you listed it and just save the leftover for another time? Thanks again for posting! (I should really get back to studying now... )
Old 02-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
Master Chef

Allen, you make me a happy man with this recipe as I love both chicken and shrooms. I might just have to do a bit of grocery shopping tonight.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
Master Chef

Allen, that really looks good! We will definately try that one. I'll bet you could do the same thing, using pork loin chops.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:37 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to tsi88kid
Isn't duxelle traditionally cooked with a wine or some type of cognac? I could be wrong but that is just the impression I was under.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:24 AM   #8
Sous Chef

I've always known a duxelle to be with wine, too. But it's a nice recipe.

The only changes that I would make for us is that I would salt and pepper the mushrooms, onions (and I'd probably use shallots), and garlic so that they give up more liquid and I could reduce more.

I also don't use canned soups, so I'd try to use a simple bechamel for the cream sauce.

That's what makes a good recipe, though... making other cooks think.

Thanks Allen!!
Old 02-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
Executive Chef

It's quite possible that a classic Duxelle has wine in it. I never checked a recipe, just "shot from the hip" on memories that are 9 years old, and incorporated my own tastes into it, i.e., the roasted garlic.

I actually did add some salt and pepper to the mushrooms. I might not have added enough. I've been trying to be a bit conservative on the amount of salt I use, as I've noticed that I've been over-salting food lately.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK
I've been trying to be a bit conservative on the amount of salt I use, as I've noticed that I've been over-salting food lately.
I add it at the beginning of cooking (like in onions before they saute, etc.), so I get more bang for my buck... that is, I can use less salt for more taste than I would if I added it at the end.

I TOTALLY understand the over-salting. It is so delicious, but all of us could probably use less.

I love the recipe! I was just adding some of my own comments about how I might change it.

Tags
None