"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2016, 11:48 AM   #11
Wine Guy

I'll be having Prime Rib myself. I'm not much of a turkey guy. Even on Thanksgiving I'll eat almost anything BUT turkey.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:18 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Alternative to Christmas turkey

We usually have Mexican food. In Mexico. A restaurant owner friend there also serves a lovely Christmas dinner at her restaurant and invites us to eat with her employees at no charge.

This year, we won't be heading to Mexico due to various family events, so I have no idea what we'll have.

Your quail sounds delicious, di. Never have been a big fan of duck, maybe because my dad would bring home mallards he shot during hunting season.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Change of programme, for which I shall call a Board Meeting with the Chairman and ask him whether he wants a groaning boardful of Christmas delights, or whether he'd rather have one, or two, of these dishes every day for the Twelve Days of Christmas. I owe dinner parties to several friends, vegetarian, vegan, carnivores, on diets, the lot, and your recipes will enable me to return hospitality - very useful. They certainly will keep me away from groaning cook syndrome! Many thanks. Still looking forward to viewing other Xmas recipes, though! Christmas Day on our own, and friends on other days. What you've sent will enable to return the hospitality I've owed for quite a while, for which, again, many thanks!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
The quail sounds great, as does the prime rib. Duck is nice but a lot of work and worry, imo.

We usually do a ham, but right now I think we will have 15 people over, so 2 hams? 1 really large ham might suffice, but I want leftovers and bones for pea soup, and beet or collard greens, or chard.

DW informed me that if the number of guests goes any higher, we will be catering from an Italian joint nearby since I will be working Christmas eve and morning.

This is going to take some work.
I am leaning toward a bone-in ham as well for split pea soup. I have a turkey breast in the freezer...as well as venison roasts. I might do venison roast on Christmas Eve with gjetost gravy, Jansen's Temptation, a fruit salad/something, and green beans with walnuts and bleu cheese. I have to keep my Mom's limited appetite in mind, my Dad's unwillingness to try new things, and that there will just be the three of us. The ham would be Christmas Day. I have to make up my mind by Friday. My Dad and I are going to the AF Base to grocery shop for Christmas and January (I will be back in Ontario for January--what a great time to go to Ontario--NOT).

Quail--I usually allow two/person, spatchcock it and make a cranberry glaze to baste on it as it cooks. I do the same with partridge breasts but prefer to use raspberry for the partridge.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Swedes have a buffet style table. I did a piece about it here.

Christmas food around the world.
I would do a smorgasbord, but with just the three of us, we would be eating leftovers until Easter. Most fun Christmas Eves have been when 8-10 people would come over and we'd eat until midnight. It took us that long to get through the cold, hot, and dessert tables.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:07 PM   #16
Head Chef

Our traditional Christmas dinner is paella - hot Italian sausage, chicken, shrimp, and mussels.
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:09 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Cornish hens
FeralBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Or a nice crown roast
FeralBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Christmas dinner must be turkey has cracked me up for awhile. In North America come Christmas 100 years ago a bird that you may still be able to find was a turkey and it was large enough to feed a crowd now it's a standard.

History and geography make traditional meals I think. If you are a coastal resident I'm sure fish is a popular favourite, if your grandparents were raised on a beef or pig farm and that's what they slaughtered to feed the family you had prime rib or Christmas ham. Sometimes there would be trades between farms to help make it a different special dinner. I have friends that trap so a roast rabbit or Christmas goose dinner it is. Before the mass ease options from the 2 grocery stores in any town what your family provides and labours over with love is what Christmas dinner is about. For years with my grandma it was known fresh lasagna was going to be on the table at there house.

If you make it because it's a special favourite that makes it more of a Christmas dinner than just because it's turkey in my books. A bit long but I hope everyone has an enjoyable Christmas dinner
Kevin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:27 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Bought 2 rib roasts yesterday. I decided that two 4-5 pounders made more sense than one 10-12 pounder, since I have guests coming with varied preferences in doneness. I can roast one medium rare and one medium and make everyone happy (although I admit that it disturbs me to deliberately overcook one of them).

Tags
christmas, turkey