Alternative to Christmas turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prime rib here as well. Reverse sear on the Egg. Besides wild mushroom bread pudding, the sides are still being considered.

It was just going to be me and gf on xmas day this year so I wanted to do a stuffed pork loin roast with a stuffing very similar to turkey dressing..it has dried apricots, cinnamon, and the usual suspects(shallots, celery, etc) in it...keeping with tradition, I would still have gravy, and mashed taters with it..and I would make an orange sauce to compliment the meat..but...we've since had a few family members added to the dinner list so now we have a big ol' frozen turkey rolling around in the trunk of the car. Every time we take a corner I hear the body rolling around...makes me think of the movie Good Fellas...

Last edited:
The tarp, rope, and cinder blocks are supposed to keep the "turkey" from rolling around, Rock.

Jus' sayin'... :cool:

Growing up, turkey was always for Thanksgiving, beef roast for Christmas, and pork roast for New Year's. One Christmas Mom decided to stray from the norm and roasted a capon for Christmas. Turns out there were no leftovers. Sad. We went back to big beef roasts on Christmas.

Hi, Power-op. Is the ham a fresh leg or shoulder, or is it already cured in some way before you pit it?

I was going to just get a pizza or Chinese food for Christmas, but I have so much food in my freezer left over from this month, I thought maybe I should save the money and just have something homemade, like meatloaf or a chicken breast.

I am feeling very grateful when it comes to food this year. In a little over 2 years of cooking at home as opposed to eating out or buying pre-made food, I have gone from running out of food three weeks into the month to having enough food to get me more than halfway through the next month. I now worry about having too much food and I know that's something not too many people can say in this country. Believe me, the fact that I can, makes me very humble.

Its an already cooked spiral cut one. But by doing it on the smoker the oven will be free for other things.

One year (and I can't remember for what holiday) I waited until the day before to buy a ham. All he had left was the whole pigs hind leg he hadn't cut up yet. He just wanted to get rid of it so he could close the store and go home. The price was right so I bought it. I had no idea what I was going to do with it.

I took some dark brown sugar, pineapple juice and made a paste. I scored the whole thing in that traditional diamond pattern, poured the extra juice over it, then smeared the paste over it, pushing it into the sliced openings, and then placed whole cloves on it with the pineapple rings. I let it sit in the fridge covered for two days. That was the best piece of ham I have ever cooked or eaten. And I winged the whole thing. I doubt I could repeat it again.

Goose, it is kind of Dickensian, I know. And it is a turkey like fowl, so your ideas about turkey might be the same.

Tons of fat, make way to store it, and it, like duck, will trash your oven.

TBS

Goose, it is kind of Dickensian, I know. And it is a turkey like fowl, so your ideas about turkey might be the same.

Tons of fat, make way to store it, and it, like duck, will trash your oven.

TBS

We always had goose for Christmas dinner when I was growing up. Most of the family preferred dark meat, and that makes goose the ideal fowl.

I made a goose one year for Christmas stuffed with an apple stuffing and a ham. I am so glad I had the ham. The goose was so greasy and made my house stink for a week!! none of us liked it. I packed the whole thing up and gave it to my uncle. He had goose every year when he was a kid (my aunt couldn't stand the smell either so she never made goose) and was happy.

Now I make beef roast and Yorkshire pudding for Christmas.

I made a goose one year for Christmas stuffed with an apple stuffing and a ham. I am so glad I had the ham. The goose was so greasy and made my house stink for a week!! none of us liked it. I packed the whole thing up and gave it to my uncle. He had goose every year when he was a kid (my aunt couldn't stand the smell either so she never made goose) and was happy.

Now I make beef roast and Yorkshire pudding for Christmas.

I actually think I am changing my tack on this one, more towards your view msmofet. Beloved Wife and I are doing Xmas alone at home this year, and we had a damn big turkey for Thanksgiving, we've been eating fowl for weeks, which B.W. pointed out to me. So a goose is going to be a) big and b) more fowl.

So I think I'm going to do a Beef Wellington. I've been doing enough pastry/baking stuff recently that I'm confident with it (which I wasn't always), and it is a dish I've always wanted to try. I can also get from this farm I've started frequenting, a nice beef loin to use. Serious, this place is great, they do their own beef, turkey, chicken, eggs and milk. And they are 5 minutes from where I live. I love them.

Question is do I do it from scratch, or do I use a prepared puff pastry? Secondary, chicken liver pate mushrooms and onions, or just mushrooms and onions?

Anyone got good experience with the beef wellington? Sir Loin?

With that I have some great late season squash, simple spinach salad, apple pie. Think I have a tentative meal plan.

TBS

I actually think I am changing my tack on this one, more towards your view msmofet. Beloved Wife and I are doing Xmas alone at home this year, and we had a damn big turkey for Thanksgiving, we've been eating fowl for weeks, which B.W. pointed out to me. So a goose is going to be a) big and b) more fowl.

So I think I'm going to do a Beef Wellington. I've been doing enough pastry/baking stuff recently that I'm confident with it (which I wasn't always), and it is a dish I've always wanted to try. I can also get from this farm I've started frequenting, a nice beef loin to use. Serious, this place is great, they do their own beef, turkey, chicken, eggs and milk. And they are 5 minutes from where I live. I love them.

Question is do I do it from scratch, or do I use a prepared puff pastry? Secondary, chicken liver pate mushrooms and onions, or just mushrooms and onions?

Anyone got good experience with the beef wellington? Sir Loin?

With that I have some great late season squash, simple spinach salad, apple pie. Think I have a tentative meal plan.

TBS

https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100113164326AADOPmU

I remember when she made this, she took the extra scraps and with an egg wash, she created designs on top of the enclosed Wellington before baking.

I would suggest you buy the boxed puff pastry. Depending on how many pieces of meat you will be encasing, there are two sheets per box. Julia made her own puff pastry. And it took almost a full pound of butter. Good luck and Bon Appetite!

http://homecooking.about.com/od/breadrecipes/r/blbread85.htm

Do you really have all that time in make your own puff pastry?

Last edited:

Anyone got good experience with the beef wellington? Sir Loin?TBS

We made it once. Karen made the pastry and duxelles. Like I said we made it once.:ermm:

Do you really have all that time in make your own puff pastry?

Addie, you aren't chained to the kitchen. The actual hands-on time isn't that much. You can clean house, cook other things, go to the store, etc in between rolling out times.

Fox, you have to be careful and not "break" the layers of dough when you are rolling if you decide to make it yourself. And I rolled it out/folded more times than most recipes call for to get extra layers. Maybe if I was making a very, very special meal I'd do it again, but Pepperidge Farm puff pastry isn't a bad product.

Beef Wellington sounds fantastic.

I just found out that along side a ham, DW wants to make a kielbasi with potatoes and kraut. We usually do those two for Easter, so I'd like to do something else. Plus, someone might already bring that weird kielbaso coins in duck sauce thing.

I'd love to make a leg o lamb, but that's also more of a springtime thing.

Maybe a fresh pork roast? Hmm, I have an old recipe for a bone-in pork sirloin roast made in the slow cooker with apples and herb butter gravy. Gotta look that up.

One year (and I can't remember for what holiday) I waited until the day before to buy a ham. All he had left was the whole pigs hind leg he hadn't cut up yet. He just wanted to get rid of it so he could close the store and go home. The price was right so I bought it. I had no idea what I was going to do with it.

I took some dark brown sugar, pineapple juice and made a paste. I scored the whole thing in that traditional diamond pattern, poured the extra juice over it, then smeared the paste over it, pushing it into the sliced openings, and then placed whole cloves on it with the pineapple rings. I let it sit in the fridge covered for two days. That was the best piece of ham I have ever cooked or eaten. And I winged the whole thing. I doubt I could repeat it again.

When you know how to cook winging it can be the best way to cook.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom