Alternative to Christmas turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beef Wellington sounds fantastic.

I just found out that along side a ham, DW wants to make a kielbasi with potatoes and kraut. We usually do those two for Easter, so I'd like to do something else. Plus, someone might already bring that weird kielbaso coins in duck sauce thing.

I'd love to make a leg o lamb, but that's also more of a springtime thing.

Maybe a fresh pork roast? Hmm, I have an old recipe for a bone-in pork sirloin roast made in the slow cooker with apples and herb butter gravy. Gotta look that up.

Porchetta! http://nytimes.com/2014/12/17/dining/a-porchetta-pork-roast-recipe.html

https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100113164326AADOPmU

I remember when she made this, she took the extra scraps and with an egg wash, she created designs on top of the enclosed Wellington before baking.

I would suggest you buy the boxed puff pastry. Depending on how many pieces of meat you will be encasing, there are two sheets per box. Julia made her own puff pastry. And it took almost a full pound of butter. Good luck and Bon Appetite!

Homemade Puff Pastry from Scratch Recipe

Do you really have all that time in make your own puff pastry?
I may have vision issues but I read the recipe on the first link and I don't think the weight or cut of meat is in the ingredient list. Only mention is in instructions and it seems like there are several pieces.

Did I miss something?

BT,

GG's sugestion of a porchetta is great. They are absolutely delicious and one of Craig's favorites. You can use leftovers for sammies with caramelized onions and melted gruyere (to die for), fried rice, and sliced really, really thin for a pizza topping with caramelized onions again, OMG, some people also put a raw egg in among the onions and pork and let it cook to where the cheese just melts and the egg is still runny. We have to make another porchetta soon.

I went back and looked at the list of ingredients. I am assuming it was taken directly fromThe Art of French Cooking. Since it is a boneless piece of meat, I am guessing that the "filet" is what they are referring to for the meat. I did look for a YouTube edition, but non showed up. (Of course.)

BT,

GG's sugestion of a porchetta is great. They are absolutely delicious and one of Craig's favorites. You can use leftovers for sammies with caramelized onions and melted gruyere (to die for), fried rice, and sliced really, really thin for a pizza topping with caramelized onions again, OMG, some people also put a raw egg in among the onions and pork and let it cook to where the cheese just melts and the egg is still runny. We have to make another porchetta soon.

I was just reading an article in the current Cooks Illustrated about porchetta. I'm definitely going to make it soon. Thanks for the additional info :) ?

I may have vision issues but I read the recipe on the first link and I don't think the weight or cut of meat is in the ingredient list. Only mention is in instructions and it seems like there are several pieces.

Did I miss something?

In the mushroom section, it says "4 (8 ounce) filet of beef." I think this is it.

So I think I'm going to do a Beef Wellington. I've been doing enough pastry/baking stuff recently that I'm confident with it (which I wasn't always), and it is a dish I've always wanted to try. I can also get from this farm I've started frequenting, a nice beef loin to use. Serious, this place is great, they do their own beef, turkey, chicken, eggs and milk. And they are 5 minutes from where I live. I love them.

If your goal is to make something English, you might want to pick something else ;)

http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/beefwellington.htm

Or, simplify things and make Gordon Ramsay's Beef Wellington. Takes 20 minutes to prepare and uses store-bought puff pastry.

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/164868/Gordon-Ramsay-s-beef-Wellington

Last edited:
Picked up the roast today, and I did go with a box of the pepridge farm premade pastry. I'd love to do it from scratch, but I work until 7 tomorrow, and the time/effort vs. benefit equation seems to be on the side of prepared.

Got a great sirlion roast, though, looks beautiful. Also some lovely yams and broccoli to use as sides.

Decided also to go with mushrooms and onions instead of a pate with the Wellington. I like liver a lot more than my wife, and I couldn't find chicken livers that I loved, but did get a nice mix of mushrooms. i'll just add some extra butter to fat it up and carry the flavor nice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom