"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 10-28-2006, 02:59 AM   #1
Sous Chef
Anyone doing Buffalo-style wings?

Just wondering, those of you who can probably easily get these as take-out, do you do them at home? We do, out of necessity since no such thing exists for take out here. Had them last night which is why they're on my mind. One of the few things we can do authentically since we have the wings and the roquefort ... and the Tabasco! Not the world's healthiest meal, of course, but every 6 months or so, boy do they taste good! Still would like to try making "sweet and sour wings" as I knew them in the States, another unhealthy "single girl with the munchies" meal I remember fondly...

XeniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:06 AM   #2
Head Chef
We make them from time to time. think they taste better than the ones we find in the stores, certainly, and most restaurants.

Also will do our own French fries, onion rings, and whatever else we wish to deep fry. As long as you have the hot oil, go for it. Also it is a lot of fun.

Usually do it on Super Bowl Sunday, not that we are football fans but it is an excuse to have some fun during a cold part of the year.

We usually eat a bit healthier than that, but you are right, you have to blow it out once in a while.

Take care. Would love to get to Greece one day.

auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:54 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
i make them at home every few months; they're extremely simple to make.

the best way is to deep fry the wings. i then toss the wings in a simple sauce of frank's red hot, melted butter, and a little cayenne pepper.
sometimes i'll add dried thai bird chilis, or sriracha sauce. it depends on how much rocket fuel i can handle, if ya know what i mean. ( it's a long trip to uranus...)

lately, to make them just slightly healthier, i've been broiling them. they're good, but not as juicy as deep fried. i've tossed them in a little evoo first, which helped. i think i'll try a fat free cooking spray next time.

i tried to go too healthy, and skin them first, but man is that a pain in the cloaca. don't bother.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:57 AM   #4
Executive Chef
I've been making them for years now. I like mine better than any restaurant's. I flour them, fry for a short time, and then finish in the oven, and then roll them around in a mixture of butter, hot sauce, oregano, garlic, and thyme.

I make a dip out of sour cream, mayo, crumbled bleu cheese, chopped garlic and pepper.

mm mm good
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote