Anyone like fried turkey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love fried turkey. I have actually perfected turkey. Don't mean to brag, but I have been making Turkey's for the last 5 years for Thanksgiving and all of the family (both sides) come to us for T-Day.

When I fry it I use peanut oil. I throw rosemary, thyme, and sage in the oil along with about 40 garlic cloves, paper still on. Heat your oil then, don't throw the herbs in hot oill. Then I simply salt and pepper the turkey with kosher salt and black pepper. I season the cavity and the outside heavily and rub it in very good. A lot of the seasoning does come off during the process put it still flavors the oil. I don't like using injectors because I notice it leaks out and the sugars in the marinade wind up burning and turning the turkey black. But with salt and pepper the skin stays brown. I usually pull the turkey when the breast is at 160-165 degrees. Then I cover it with a large stainless steel mixing bowl for about 20 minutes. Carry over cooking raises the temp a good bit. So if you pull it at 170 it will overcook after it rests. The skin turns out golden brown and the meat is very juicy. Next time I am going to brine the turkey the day before to see if that makes a big difference. I usually brine it when I roast it, but have never done it with frying. Just incase your wondering about the herbs, I use about 4 big rosemary sprigs, and a handful of fresh thyme. It flavors the oil nicely. Also good with fried chicken.

How do you guys usually make gravy with your fried turkey?

Allen - Great instructions for newbie fryers!!

Re Gravy - We had a FT this past Christmas, and about a week before, I bought some wings/thighs, and made a nice rich stock - roasted the meat w/some onion/carrot/celery first - added some peppercorns and bay leaf; then froze the stock til the 'day of'. I then used that to make a gravy; made a roux first with butter/flour, then added the stock. Perfect 'homemade' gravy!

PS - Had enough stock leftover to make a great turkey-rice soup with the meat used for the stock, plus the leftover stock.

I have a Turkey Fryer and a Offset Smoker and enjoy Turkeys both ways.. In fact, I enjoy them TOO much.. :)

I love Fried Turkeys, but a good Smoked Turkey is hard to beat. Especially if it has been brined.. A client of mine gave me a Smoked Turkey for Christmas one year, and that is really what got me started into the "WHITE SMOKE" world of Smoking Meats..

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom