"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 07-14-2006, 09:25 AM   #21
Chief Eating Officer

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:26 PM   #22
Send a message via MSN to AriesGirl71 Send a message via Yahoo to AriesGirl71
Fried Turkey is awesome! We have it this way every year for Thanksgiving.It is so much more moist than roasting or baking it in the oven.

Jen from Illinois
AriesGirl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:19 AM   #23
Assistant Cook
I love fried turkey. I have actually perfected turkey. Don't mean to brag, but I have been making Turkey's for the last 5 years for Thanksgiving and all of the family (both sides) come to us for T-Day.

When I fry it I use peanut oil. I throw rosemary, thyme, and sage in the oil along with about 40 garlic cloves, paper still on. Heat your oil then, don't throw the herbs in hot oill. Then I simply salt and pepper the turkey with kosher salt and black pepper. I season the cavity and the outside heavily and rub it in very good. A lot of the seasoning does come off during the process put it still flavors the oil. I don't like using injectors because I notice it leaks out and the sugars in the marinade wind up burning and turning the turkey black. But with salt and pepper the skin stays brown. I usually pull the turkey when the breast is at 160-165 degrees. Then I cover it with a large stainless steel mixing bowl for about 20 minutes. Carry over cooking raises the temp a good bit. So if you pull it at 170 it will overcook after it rests. The skin turns out golden brown and the meat is very juicy. Next time I am going to brine the turkey the day before to see if that makes a big difference. I usually brine it when I roast it, but have never done it with frying. Just incase your wondering about the herbs, I use about 4 big rosemary sprigs, and a handful of fresh thyme. It flavors the oil nicely. Also good with fried chicken.

How do you guys usually make gravy with your fried turkey?
jasonj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:15 AM   #24
Executive Chef
Allen - Great instructions for newbie fryers!!

Re Gravy - We had a FT this past Christmas, and about a week before, I bought some wings/thighs, and made a nice rich stock - roasted the meat w/some onion/carrot/celery first - added some peppercorns and bay leaf; then froze the stock til the 'day of'. I then used that to make a gravy; made a roux first with butter/flour, then added the stock. Perfect 'homemade' gravy!

PS - Had enough stock leftover to make a great turkey-rice soup with the meat used for the stock, plus the leftover stock.
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:49 AM   #25
Senior Cook
I have a Turkey Fryer and a Offset Smoker and enjoy Turkeys both ways.. In fact, I enjoy them TOO much.. :)

I love Fried Turkeys, but a good Smoked Turkey is hard to beat. Especially if it has been brined.. A client of mine gave me a Smoked Turkey for Christmas one year, and that is really what got me started into the "WHITE SMOKE" world of Smoking Meats..

candelbc is offline   Reply With Quote