Barefoot Contessa's Tequila Lime Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
Can someone post this recipe? I've seen in mentioned several times but never a recipe for it.

Is Barefoot Contessa a person? Sounds like a harlot name.

:LOL: She's a cook on foodnetwork (Ina Garten). Hang on I'll find it. Its one of my favorite ways to cook chicken on the grill. She's one of my favorites on foodnetwork.

Last edited:
outstanding. Your topping sounds delicious. I'm adding those things too. You have my thanks. I'll give this one a try.

I don't drink at all so I'm not sure about "gold" tequila. Is that a brand name or a type of tequila?

Since I don't drink my options with the tequila will be to either purchase a very small bottle (if available) or try to find a drinking friend who might have some.. Otherwise I would have to try it without the Tequila.

Would you mind describing the predominate flavors in this dish along with what the tequila adds to the mixture? My wife has disliked a few dishes we've made with alcohol for ingredients. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
You are very welcome. When the season is right try grilling some corn on the cob.....make a chili powder butter to baste it with. I then serve it with a Spring Blend Salad (prepackaged).

By all means you can leave out the Tequilla. Heck, most of the time we don't have any in our house and I just play around with the recipe and use whatever I have. You will def. taste the tequilla flavor if you use the recipe above, along with a citrusy and spicy blend.

The first time I made it I went strictly by the recipe.....it was wonderful that way but sometimes I don't always have all the ingredients on hand and have to compromise....and every way I've come up with so far is just as good.

Sometimes I add the tequilla sometimes not. Occassionally I don't have a jalapeno so I'll used red pepper flakes. Sometimes I use lemon and lime instead.

Its one of those recipes that you can def. play around with.

Oh and I forgot. Sometimes the citrus at the stores just isn't that great and I've occassionally substituted bottled lime and lemon and it worked out. Fresh is always the best though and if possible go that route.

I have made this many times. It started getting expensive since I was needing to use so much tequila. I started freezing the liquid to use once or twice before I toss it. Does anyone else do this? :)

It is not safe at all, unless you boil the liquid for at least 5 minutes (I think it is 5 minutes) before using again.

Why since I am just putting raw chicken in again? And the chicken gets cooked? The liquid is put straight into the freezer?

Well if you are using it as a marinade again then I suppose it probably is OK. I guess bringing it to a boil only really applies if you are using it as a sauce.

it would still make me nervous though, but it is probably OK.

She has this recipe in her "Family Style" book--or at least one really close to it. I gotta admit, I was a little disappointed with it. But maybe there was something to the type of tequila. I don't drink gold tequila so I didn't have any on hand...I substituted my Patron for it.

Wasn't impressed, not one bit.

It's not safe (kind of along the same lines as not washing your cutting board / knife after you are done cutting raw chicken and then need to do veggies) ... Also, if you are marinating then basting, reserve an amount of the marinade BEFORE you throw your chicken in. That way, when you are basting your meat that is cooking, you are using new marinade and not reapplying possibly contaminated liquids.

You are freezing - thawing - using - refreezing ... right? The bacteria is still in the liquid and every time you thaw it, it comes alive again and can contaminate your meat. Even if you are cooking it through, it's still not a good idea. It's like meat - once you freeze and then thaw, it's not wise to refreeze it if it hasn't been cooked. Too much bad "stuff" can get in. Once it's "revived", it's potentially harder to cook out. (Does this make sense or am I rambling ... ?)

It's a great idea and I'm sure a great money saver but definately not safe - sorry!

Last edited:
Here's a similar marinade I 'adapted' from a catering recipe, years ago - IMHO, the tequila doesn't add any appreciable 'zowie' to the recipes, so if you don't want to use it, just leave it out and sub in some more of any of the liquid ingredients.

YUCATECAN CITRUS MARINADE
makes 1 ½ cups

½ cup orange juice
1T orange zest
¼ cup lime juice
1tsp. lime zest
¼ cup lemon juice
1tsp. lemon zest
¼ cup oil
1 tsp. dry oregano (Mexican if you have it)
2T chipotle powder
3-4garlic cloves
1T diced jalapeno
3-4T cilantro
¼ cup tequila

Combine everything and whisk to blend. For chicken, marinate 6-8 hours; for fish, 2-4 hours.

Back
Top Bottom