"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 06-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Barley?

i want to make chicken chili tomorrow, i would like to add a little barley, just to make it that much more nutrition wise/ would that be strange. if not to strange how much should i add. should i cook it first or let it cook in the broth ? will be in crockpot.

help please

Old 06-15-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Add it to the broth. Hard to say how much. The barley swells up a lot and takes a lot of liquid. Add barley and extra broth/water to be absorbed. You can always adjust the amount of liquid.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
Senior Cook

When I make beef barley soup, I use pearl barley, add it to the beef stock first and let it cook for maybe half an hour, then I add the cooked beef and the vegetables and simmer it until the vegetables are cooked; by that time, the barley is also cooked. I don't know if that would work for chicken chili or not, but it works really well for my soup.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i want to make chicken chili tomorrow, i would like to add a little barley, just to make it that much more nutrition wise/ would that be strange. if not to strange how much should i add. should i cook it first or let it cook in the broth ? will be in crockpot.

help please
Nothing is strange if it appeals to you. I've never used it so hopfully one of our members can step up and help you. But it sounds good to me. Let me know if you use it.
kades
Old 06-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
Master Chef

I'd cook it first, makes a world of difference.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMerry View Post
When I make beef barley soup, I use pearl barley, add it to the beef stock first and let it cook for maybe half an hour, then I add the cooked beef and the vegetables and simmer it until the vegetables are cooked; by that time, the barley is also cooked. I don't know if that would work for chicken chili or not, but it works really well for my soup.
Just curious why you cook it that way.

When I make beef barley soup, I cook the meat and veggies for some time then add the barley and cook that until done.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

decided to deep six the barley. doesn't seem to fit. will put in tiny tomatoes before they go bad. and a couple hot peppers left from making salsa. the left over salsa itself. and some assorted small bell peppers. of course onion, garlic and white beans. putting in left over roasted chicken. and whatever i think of. thanks for info everyone.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Andy M, I cook the barley some before adding the vegetables because I don't want the vegetables to get to soft. Whether they actually would or not I don't know, it just made sense to me to do it the first time I made the soup.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMerry View Post
Andy M, I cook the barley some before adding the vegetables because I don't want the vegetables to get to soft. Whether they actually would or not I don't know, it just made sense to me to do it the first time I made the soup.
I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with what you are doing.

You could add the veggies after the barley is partially cooked so they wouldn't get too soft.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
Master Chef

i, too, preferentially, prefer pre-cooked barley/starches. the viscosity of the resulting broth is varying & inconsistant.

Tags
chicken, chili