Beer Batter chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Ok, got some beer in the fridge that everyone despises so I thought I would attempt a beer battered chicken. Does anyone have a killer recipe? I know the timing sucks, but I am patient. Whenever you guys see this thread. THANKS! And happy turkey day to you all!

I use beer, soda water, 7-UP etc in batters.

I mainly use the beer batter with fish but chicken or pork is fine as well. I sometimes like to serve the battered fish, chicken or pork with a Sweet & Sour sauce.
You must use a good tasting beer, I usually drink European or Czech lagers, so that is what I use.
I also add herbs, sesame seeds, paprika, 5 spice powder or anything that you would normally use with whatever you are battering.

To mix: Put your flour in a bowl and mix in any spices, salt or herbs that you want.
Now the hard part:
Add as much beer or soft drink as is needed to make a batter of the consistency that you want. Mix only untill combined, a little bit lumpy is fine and gives a nice texture appearence.
I usually make a rather thin mix and it gives a beautiful light crispy batter almost like tempura.
Dip your chicken in flour, shake off excess, dip into batter, quickly drain excess batter and plop into hot oil.

Also, any time I stir fry or deep fry chicken I use Thigh meat. It has more fat in it :oops: and the end result is more juicy than Breast meat.

Wayne, THANK YOU! I was planning on winging it tonight, but you have saved me. I have thighs thawing as we speak.

Wayne, I took your advice and made it very thin and tempura like. My kids LOVED it. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom