Beer Can Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to chime in about beer can chicken, too. It's one of the easiest and most flavorful ways to cook a chicken around.

When our children were young - they're now in their mid 30s - they lovingly called it beer butt chicken. If you have children, you know potty talk never goes out of style.

At any rate, we do beer can chicken several ways. Our favorite (and our childrens' favorite) involves mixing a rub of 1 tablespoon seasoned salt, 1 tablespoon garlic powder and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Generously rub this mixture all over the outside of the bird and sprinkle some inside. Open a 12-ounce can of beer, pouring off about a third. Well, actally, drinking about a third. With a church key, put about 6 or 7 more holes in the top. Put the remaining rub in the beer. Because of the salt, it's going to foam up quite a bit so do this over the sink or outside.

Place the chicken (about a 5-lb. bird) over the can in the appropriate "throne" position using the legs to stabilize it. Put the whole works in a disposable aluminum 8-inch square pan. Put it on your grill and grill, covered, at about medium to medium-high heat for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

The pan helps to catch juices and prevents flare-ups from fat dripping down into the fire. We usually separate the fat from the juices because this is one of the tastiest parts of cooking chicken this way. It's great to dip the moist tender chicken in.

We also cook chicken, in the oven, using an empty washed out soda or beer can and fill it with white wine and tarragon. Oil the outside of the bird well and salt and pepper the inside. Cook in the oven as you would over the grill.

Just let your imagination be your guide. There are lots of flavor combinations to play with. All of them good.

Steven Raichlen has devoted an entire cookbook to this subject. It's called Beer Can Chicken and is filled with lots and lots of great recipes and ideas.

Enjoy!

Katie:chef:

I never imagined doing this but i think I will have to give it a try, does it have to be american beer or will a UK Brew do?:ROFLMAO:

I don't think it really matters. We just used what we had on hand. Although, I don't think we ever used any of the dark beers. Generally we stuck to the least expensive for this purpose. Saved the good stuff to drink.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom