"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-04-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink Beer Can Chicken

Fixing beer can chicken tomorrow, read a thread today on google- this guy fixed two chickens -one w/beer one w/water------ the end result was -no difference in taste ! How do you feel about this ? Son and I did two once, one w/beer other one w/coke-- same-no difference- why ??

Old 11-04-2006, 05:23 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

I think it's just the steaming--no flavor transfer. I don't particularly care for it personally.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:27 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L
Fixing beer can chicken tomorrow, read a thread today on google- this guy fixed two chickens -one w/beer one w/water------ the end result was -no difference in taste ! How do you feel about this ? Son and I did two once, one w/beer other one w/coke-- same-no difference- why ??
Were there any flavorings/spices included in your recipe?

When we do our beer can chicken we always put a rub or spices on the bird, in the bird and in the can along with the beer. We also do beer can chicken using white wine and tarragon inside the can instead of beer. We always get great flavors.

We also do our chicken in the oven when the weather's not agreeable to use the outdoor grill.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
Master Chef

We love beer can chicken. Kim always does two, so we can have leftover cooked chicken for another dish. I'm sure water, soda or whatever would work just as well...it's the steam that does the trick.
We use a rub...whatever we're in the mood for that day. Cajun, Italian, BBQ or lemon/herb are all good choices.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:27 PM   #5
Master Chef

Wink

Yes, I put a rub on I use all the time-- and now I do it in the oven too ! So I guess tomorrow I will just do water in the can - why waste the beer !
Old 11-04-2006, 06:35 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Like Gretchen said - it's the steam. I open up the whole top of the can I am using and put a couple TBS of chopped onion, a TBS of butter, and maybe 1/2 TBS of the rub I use. We LOVE beer can chicken - it turns out moist and flavorful every time. We also make extra because people end up picking at the remainder over the coarse of the night until it's gone

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:37 PM   #7
Master Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Like Gretchen said - it's the steam. I open up the whole top of the can I am using and put a couple TBS of chopped onion, a TBS of butter, and maybe 1/2 TBS of the rub I use. We LOVE beer can chicken - it turns out moist and flavorful every time. We also make extra because people end up picking at the remainder over the coarse of the night until it's gone
Thanks, I will take your tip !!
Old 11-04-2006, 06:44 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Barb - how do you make your rub? There are no small children usually when I make mine and I add a good helping of ground red pepper along with everything else - that gets the ol' taste buds going! lol

I'm a firm believer that when I smoke a pork butt the flavor of the apple juice in the drip pan makes a TREMENDOUS difference. I would be tempted to use apple juice. The ingredient in the can isn't going to make a significant difference unless it is extremely flavorful to begin with. JMHO I would never use just water (but I hate beer so it's no waste to me!)

Old 11-04-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
Master Chef

Wink

My rub is------ 1/4 c brn.sugar 1/4 c sweet paprika, 1/4 c kosher salt, 3 T pepper, 2tsp. garlic powder, 2 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp dried basil. Don't get me wrong, the chicken when done is very good, just wondering about the steam flavor. Thanks all for your input !
Old 11-04-2006, 06:58 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

LOL - of course I figured your rub had great flavor and that you were asking about the steam and flavor impact. BUT, I just wanted your recipe!

LOL - all kidding aside - your recipe is exactly like mine - except I add dried oregano, mustard powder, and smoked paprika.

Tags
None