Beer Can Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
Fixing beer can chicken tomorrow, read a thread today on google- this guy fixed two chickens -one w/beer one w/water------ the end result was -no difference in taste ! How do you feel about this ? Son and I did two once, one w/beer other one w/coke-- same-no difference- why ??

I think it's just the steaming--no flavor transfer. I don't particularly care for it personally.

Barb L said:
Fixing beer can chicken tomorrow, read a thread today on google- this guy fixed two chickens -one w/beer one w/water------ the end result was -no difference in taste ! How do you feel about this ? Son and I did two once, one w/beer other one w/coke-- same-no difference- why ??

Were there any flavorings/spices included in your recipe?

When we do our beer can chicken we always put a rub or spices on the bird, in the bird and in the can along with the beer. We also do beer can chicken using white wine and tarragon inside the can instead of beer. We always get great flavors.

We also do our chicken in the oven when the weather's not agreeable to use the outdoor grill.

We love beer can chicken. Kim always does two, so we can have leftover cooked chicken for another dish. I'm sure water, soda or whatever would work just as well...it's the steam that does the trick.
We use a rub...whatever we're in the mood for that day. Cajun, Italian, BBQ or lemon/herb are all good choices.

Yes, I put a rub on I use all the time-- and now I do it in the oven too ! So I guess tomorrow I will just do water in the can - why waste the beer ! :ROFLMAO:

Like Gretchen said - it's the steam. I open up the whole top of the can I am using and put a couple TBS of chopped onion, a TBS of butter, and maybe 1/2 TBS of the rub I use. We LOVE beer can chicken - it turns out moist and flavorful every time. We also make extra because people end up picking at the remainder over the coarse of the night until it's gone :(

kitchenelf said:
Like Gretchen said - it's the steam. I open up the whole top of the can I am using and put a couple TBS of chopped onion, a TBS of butter, and maybe 1/2 TBS of the rub I use. We LOVE beer can chicken - it turns out moist and flavorful every time. We also make extra because people end up picking at the remainder over the coarse of the night until it's gone :(
Thanks, I will take your tip !!

Barb - how do you make your rub? There are no small children usually when I make mine and I add a good helping of ground red pepper along with everything else - that gets the ol' taste buds going! lol

I'm a firm believer that when I smoke a pork butt the flavor of the apple juice in the drip pan makes a TREMENDOUS difference. I would be tempted to use apple juice. The ingredient in the can isn't going to make a significant difference unless it is extremely flavorful to begin with. JMHO I would never use just water (but I hate beer :ROFLMAO: so it's no waste to me!) :cool:

My rub is------ 1/4 c brn.sugar 1/4 c sweet paprika, 1/4 c kosher salt, 3 T pepper, 2tsp. garlic powder, 2 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp dried basil. Don't get me wrong, the chicken when done is very good, just wondering about the steam flavor. Thanks all for your input ! :)

LOL - of course I figured your rub had great flavor and that you were asking about the steam and flavor impact. BUT, I just wanted your recipe! :ROFLMAO:

LOL - all kidding aside - your recipe is exactly like mine - except I add dried oregano, mustard powder, and smoked paprika.

kitchenelf said:
LOL - of course I figured your rub had great flavor and that you were asking about the steam and flavor impact. BUT, I just wanted your recipe! :ROFLMAO:

LOL - all kidding aside - your recipe is exactly like mine - except I add dried oregano, mustard powder, and smoked paprika.
I can't find smoked paprika here, could I use a couple drops of liq. smoke??

Technically I guess you could but I do NOT like the taste of liquid smoke. The smoked paprika doesn't really impart a "smoked" flavor. I, personally, wouldn't use liquid smoke. Are you going to indirect cook it on your grill or in your oven.

kitchenelf said:
Technically I guess you could but I do NOT like the taste of liquid smoke. The smoked paprika doesn't really impart a "smoked" flavor. I, personally, wouldn't use liquid smoke. Are you going to indirect cook it on your grill or in your oven.
Okey- dokey no smoke ! In the oven ! Thanks Hon,for your guidance!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom