Beer Can Chicken in the oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
It is pouring buckets out there and windy to boot. I'd like to do a beer can chicken tonight, do you think I could do the beer can chicken in the oven?

Absolutely. Take a look at Bundt Pan beer can chicken. You can make an entire dish w/ vegetables using beer or wine.

It is pouring buckets out there and windy to boot. I'd like to do a beer can chicken tonight, do you think I could do the beer can chicken in the oven?

I've done it many times. It doesn't have the smoky flavor that you get from the grill, but it tastes just as good.

Sometimes I use an empty beer/soda can and fill it with white wine and tarragon for a really heavenly alternative. I've also interchanged fresh rosemary for the tarragon with equally tasty results.

OMG Cerise, that looks DIVINE! Thanks!

Katie, I'm actually using a coke can cuz all the beer in my house is in bottles. I'd not given much thought to the liquid I was going to use. My veggie side is going to be balsamic flavored so I need to complement the flavors in the chicken marinade. Any suggestions?

The beer can method is simply a means to keep the chicken vertical. It could be used with about any roasting method. In an oven I think you could set a dish under it and collect the juices, then use that in a sauce a la minute.

I have cooked it many times in the oven, it works great although I dont use the bundt pan, I just use the regular method. :)

The beer can method is simply a means to keep the chicken vertical. It could be used with about any roasting method. In an oven I think you could set a dish under it and collect the juices, then use that in a sauce a la minute.

A beer can is nice and cheap for keeping it vertical. I prefer to use a chicken roasting stand myself. A test site did a comparison using the beer can method and without. They found no real benefit, and were just short of calling it an urban legend. They found that the beer in the can did nothing to flavor the chicken.

If using the beer can method and a full sized chicken, I'd suggest buying a tall boy 16 oz can.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if you could do that upside down. That way the dark meat would be the most exposed to heat and cook faster. It would also mean that the juices inside the chicken would drain towards the white meat.

I'm wondering if you could do that upside down. That way the dark meat would be the most exposed to heat and cook faster. It would also mean that the juices inside the chicken would drain towards the white meat.

That's what I was thinking. I imagine the breast would be more moist and tender that way. GMTA

Back
Top Bottom