Beer in the rear chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use the liquid holding container that came with the rack I mentioned earlier. A can won't fit in the holder, but everything seems to come just fine using it as is.

gotcha.....hmmmm......I hope the kinks get worked out because this is some gooood chicken when all the pistons are firing

simple is good and this is still simple, salt n pepper with butter and water works too.....

I really enjoy the way this chicken comes out, juicy, flavorful and most of all satisfying....maybe one day you will be passing through Texas and some big country boy will enlighten your taste buds

My taste buds need no help....they function quite well ~~ I do prefer to deal in facts however...not fiction and myth. ~~ Enjoy Your chickens!!

Bon Appetit!!

kink

n
1. a sharp twist or bend in a wire, rope, hair, etc., esp one caused when it is pulled tight
2. a crick in the neck or similar muscular spasm
3. a flaw or minor difficulty in some undertaking or project
4. a flaw or idiosyncrasy of personality; quirk
5. Brit informal a sexual deviation
6. US a clever or unusual idea
vb
to form or cause to form a kink
[from Dutch: a curl in a rope; compare Middle Low German kinke kink, Old Norse kinka to nod]

^#3 should best explain my use of the word in reference to your fancy bird holder

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
My taste buds need no help....they function quite well ~~ I do prefer to deal in facts however...not fiction and myth. ~~ Enjoy Your chickens!!

Bon Appetit!!

good, more chicken for me! I'm not sure what your calling a myth or fiction, it's a fact and the facts taste good!.....some people eat with a silver spoon, some eat with clean hands, I prefer clean hands

thanks for your input!

"Beer butt chicken, beer can chicken, chicken on a throne"...whatever it's called, it's awesome. I've been cooking chicken in this manner for nearly 20 years and have always had a wonderfully moist and tender chicken.

Until about 10 years ago I always used a beer can or a clean empty soda can, if not using beer. I now use this device. It's incredibly stable and holds tons of liquid.

However everyone makes their "can" chicken, enjoy! Ain't it great?

Katie H said:
"Beer butt chicken, beer can chicken, chicken on a throne"...whatever it's called, it's awesome. I've been cooking chicken in this manner for nearly 20 years and have always had a wonderfully moist and tender chicken.

A Testament to your excellent cooking/seasoning skills Miss Katie! ..Not the device nor the evaporation of liquids from it. ~~~ It's the Indian...not the arrows...;)

Fun!

A Testament to your excellent cooking/seasoning skills Miss Katie! ..Not the device nor the evaporation of liquids from it. ~~~ It's the Indian...not the arrows

fun

have you (not your link) ever juxtaposed the two? regular chicken vs beer butt chicken

HI, sorry to bump an older thread but does anyone have experience with beer chicken without a holder? I don't have a lot of money and hate buying gadgets I only use every so often, so I'm just wondering if it's possible to balance the chicken on the can alone. Also, would the bottom half be touching the grill grates? Any cheap alternatives?

Yeah you can do without the fancy holder. Put the beer can in a pie tin that
you don't want to use for pies anymore ( a cheap aluminum one is fine.
when you set the chicken on the can, you use the bird's legs to create
a tripod with the can.
Carry carefully to the grill, and be even more careful when removing, because
it can fall over easily.

Yeah you can do without the fancy holder. Put the beer can in a pie tin that
you don't want to use for pies anymore ( a cheap aluminum one is fine.
when you set the chicken on the can, you use the bird's legs to create
a tripod with the can.
Carry carefully to the grill, and be even more careful when removing, because
it can fall over easily.

I agree w/GF. Also, iirc, I used a big beer can. Fosters or a 16oz can. Also, open up the can top as much as possible. (hate to say but similar to make'n a spit can:huh:) I can tell you how if you want.(BTW haven't chew'd in 1.5yrs)

Also, look to get a fresh 3-3.5# bird, they worked the best for me when I did them.

You can make a tripod with the legs. Make sure the bird isn't too large so you can close lid easily. This works well. Just a bit tricky removing when done. Yes, balance the chicken on can if u get a smaller bird (which works best) the bottoms of legs will rest on grill and part of the butt may, as well. You have to play with it to adjust.

Last edited:
I started using only beer for this chicken. Now, I use Vernor's gingerale or Cherry coke. Great taste. Maybe a bit more moist with the soda.

Removing the hot chicken from the hot can can be tricky at best, dangerous at worst.
I use one of those holders for the can and just carve the bird standing as it is. Works for me. :chicken:

I do the same thing. And by the time I'm done with dinner and picking it clean, it's usually easier to handle the can.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom