"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-06-2011, 11:42 PM   #31
Head Chef

Yeah you can do without the fancy holder. Put the beer can in a pie tin that
you don't want to use for pies anymore ( a cheap aluminum one is fine.
when you set the chicken on the can, you use the bird's legs to create
a tripod with the can.
Carry carefully to the grill, and be even more careful when removing, because
it can fall over easily.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #32
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
Yeah you can do without the fancy holder. Put the beer can in a pie tin that
you don't want to use for pies anymore ( a cheap aluminum one is fine.
when you set the chicken on the can, you use the bird's legs to create
a tripod with the can.
Carry carefully to the grill, and be even more careful when removing, because
it can fall over easily.
I agree w/GF. Also, iirc, I used a big beer can. Fosters or a 16oz can. Also, open up the can top as much as possible. (hate to say but similar to make'n a spit can) I can tell you how if you want.(BTW haven't chew'd in 1.5yrs)

Also, look to get a fresh 3-3.5# bird, they worked the best for me when I did them.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #33
Cook

Thanks guys! I appreciate the tip about the pie tin and fresh bird...I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 02-08-2011, 03:55 AM   #34
Executive Chef

I'm glad I'm not a chicken
Old 02-08-2011, 04:42 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
I'm glad I'm not a chicken
I'm glad you're not a chicken too.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #36
Senior Cook

You can make a tripod with the legs. Make sure the bird isn't too large so you can close lid easily. This works well. Just a bit tricky removing when done. Yes, balance the chicken on can if u get a smaller bird (which works best) the bottoms of legs will rest on grill and part of the butt may, as well. You have to play with it to adjust.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #37
Senior Cook

I started using only beer for this chicken. Now, I use Vernor's gingerale or Cherry coke. Great taste. Maybe a bit more moist with the soda.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #38
Master Chef

Removing the hot chicken from the hot can can be tricky at best, dangerous at worst.
I use one of those holders for the can and just carve the bird standing as it is. Works for me.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

I do the same thing. And by the time I'm done with dinner and picking it clean, it's usually easier to handle the can.

Tags
beer, chicken, recipe

Beer in the rear chicken [URL="http://img827.imageshack.us/i/beerbuttchicken.jpg/"][IMG]http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/9435/beerbuttchicken.jpg[/IMG][/URL] [URL=http://img717.imageshack.us/i/19400342.jpg/][IMG]http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/1700/19400342.jpg[/IMG][/URL] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]combat load:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]12oz beer (anything but whimpy will work)[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]fresh rosemary[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]extra virgin olive oil[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]paprika[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]cummin[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]salt(kosher) & pepper <-----the greatest spices of all time[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]butter spray[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]grill----oak hardwood lump coals[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]4-5lb bird, i cooked it for 2 hours ranging from 350 to 400 degrees on the far side of grill, when the internal temp reached 180 i rang the dinner bell![/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]you can buy a beer can chicken holder or you can stand it up without it, just make sure its upright and dont forget to take a swig off the beer first(chefs secret!)[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]i like this concept, the beer-steam logic makes sense, rosemary and chicken are always amazing, paprika and cummin compliment, salt n pepper are the greatest spices of all time, ill give it a mist of butter for than golden crisp exterior, before anything i dry the chicken and then brush a tiny amount of olive oil, put some rosemary in the beer and on the chicken (you can also add butter, onions, garlic, etc to the beer), its just something to really play around with and shape it around your specific taste, this was no specific recipe, im still a white belt at cooking and just used what was in my kitchen, im always open to ideas or suggestions...[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]my main point of this is to bring up the idea, maybe youve forgotten about it, maybe youve never heard of it, maybe you have ideas for it, i love food and love what food does for the mind and body..if you try this, i hope ive served you well! thank you[/SIZE][/FONT] 3 stars 1 reviews