"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 03-08-2007, 03:41 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
poaching in wine and aromatics never hurts, either.

Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #12
Executive Chef
I think I do but obviously not nearly enough. I've really learned a lot about salt. It is our friend.

Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:51 PM   #13
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Half Baked
I think I do but obviously not nearly enough. I've really learned a lot about salt. It is our friend.
Yes, it is!
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #14
Sous Chef
Poaching Chicken: I add celery, onion, & fresh ground black pepper
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:06 PM   #15
Send a message via Yahoo to mad_evo99
I've never poached chicken before, but I've had chicken that others have poached. Usually they mix in a bunch of spices before mixing with something else, like jambalaya or burritos or something. You might even poach it, shred it and then simmer it in a pan with the spices and a little water to get the flavor in and not dry it out.
If you don't have time to do it right, how can you have time to fix it later?
mad_evo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:00 PM   #16
Executive Chef
You could marinate the chicken (in a zip lock in the fridge) in Italian dressing or lemon juice, garlic and herbs. (Tarragon is a good one, but can be overwhelming -- use whatever herbs you like.) Saute on medium heat or bake with extra marinade. That should keep the chicken moist & flavorful.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #17
Executive Chef
Keep it simple. Just pound it with a tenderizer, a bit of oil and black pepper, and bake on a metal pan for about 30 minutes ( assuming you want something quick and easy). I prefer to bake mine with a bit of stock and carmelized onions and mushrooms to add flavor.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:10 AM   #18
Sous Chef
too late for this suggestion, but... maybe next time.

Brine your chicken breasts (to every qt. of cold water add 1/4 c. kosher salt, 1/8 c. (2 T.) each: brown sugar and granulated sugar and swish this mixture up till sugars are dissolved) for 3-5 hours in the frig. Remove from brine, rinse well and pat dry w/paper towels.

Then you can rub with a little oil, sprinkle with whatever seasonings you like and roast them in the oven, uncovered. I'm not a fan of poaching, but if you are, you can certainly do it that way and be a happy camper.

Brining chicken breasts allows them to be so moist and tender when cooked.
an old cook, still learning new tricks!
cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:19 AM   #19
Executive Chef
I used to do this for a salad recipe last year. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Sear on both sides in a skillet with a little butter to brown. Throw on a half-size sheet pan and roast in a 350 degree F convection oven for 15 minutes. Check temp. with a probe to ensure that it's at least 160 degrees F. coming out of the oven (carry-over cooking will take it up to 165).

For home, I use my 12" cast iron skillet, brown on the presentation side (old habit), flip, then place the skillet itself into the oven for 10 minutes, and check the temp. with my probe thermometer.

Now, I was using chicken breasts at work that weigh about 2 lbs (the whole breast, not halves like you get at a store), so I had a longer cooking time.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:07 PM   #20
Executive Chef
I like to sear my chicken breasts too. I think it locks in the moisture. I do it just like Allen. Make sure your pan and oil is hot or the chicken will stick.

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote