"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 03-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #11
Master Chef

Gizzards are shaped something like an hour glass and I always cut the tough gristle part in the middle out and toss it. Then you have the two more tender end pieces ready to cook however you like.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Gizzards are shaped something like an hour glass and I always cut the tough gristle part in the middle out and toss it. Then you have the two more tender end pieces ready to cook however you like.

i do that too, kayelle, but not to all of them. i leave some of the gizzards as they are cause i like to chew on the grisly parts. same thing with the chewy parts of ham hocks, and such....

btw, kayelle, how is your ankle coming along? are you able to get around, drive a car and such? is hubby helping with the cooking? at least where you live, you don't have to worry about the hazards of ice and snow in your travels....

Old 03-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
Gizzards and livers (with a few hearts thrown in) were an off menu item at KFC for years. They are gone from my local stores. I think they were prepared with the same breading and in the same oil as original.
I'll see what I can do. It won't be until after next payday though.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
Head Chef

Give them a simmer for 20 minutes in a nicely flavored stock...
My mom always used wine, water, garlic and pepper.
Take them out, let them cool long enough to handle.
Bread in seasoned flour, I like garlic, cayenne, onion and a bit
of poultry seasoning.
Fry them just long enough to crisp the breading, and enjoy!
Great with ranch dip!

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
Master Chef

I love them in the chicken soup plain, or better yet in a stew.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i do that too, kayelle, but not to all of them. i leave some of the gizzards as they are cause i like to chew on the grisly parts. same thing with the chewy parts of ham hocks, and such....

btw, kayelle, how is your ankle coming along? are you able to get around, drive a car and such? is hubby helping with the cooking? at least where you live, you don't have to worry about the hazards of ice and snow in your travels....
Thanks for asking, Vit. The breaks were a bone in my right foot and several ribs. I'm really tired of spending the night in my recliner because of the ribs, but dealing with my bed is out of the question. My foot (with a brace thingy) now allows me to walk the length of this small house if I need to do that, but Steve insists on wheeling me in the borrowed transport wheel chair to keep me off of it as much as possible. If this accident was due to ice, and not just my clumsiness I'd never leave the house in winter again!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook