"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 03-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Question Best way to cook Gizzards?

I picked up chicken gizzards the other day. I love KFC gizzards but most KFC no longer make them. I've been told the best way to cook them is with a pressure cooker, but I don't have one of those. I know if you do it wrong they can get a bit tough. So how do I make these very yummy and delicious?

Robin
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You can cook them in a pot and get the same results as with a pressure cooker. The only thing a pressure cookers does is cook things faster, not differently.

You can simmer them in chicken stock for an hour then dry, cool, coat with flour and deep fry them.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen

I cook turkey gizzards & organs for my dog - I just boil them in water with garlic for 2 hours.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Executive Chef

i like chicken giblets (small gizzards?) for myself, boiled with onion and celery, and whatever other veggies need to be used up, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. i don't deep fry the giblets, just add hot sauce or sriracha to a bit of the cooking liquid for a sauce to go with. noodles or rice can be added to the pot near the end of cooking if desired, and go well too. a practically do-nothing, tasty dish...:)
Old 03-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I fry them up and throw them in the rice pot.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Along with chicken livers, they can be used in a dirty rice recipe.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Master Chef

If you have a meat grinder you can grind them along with a couple of bell peppers, onions and celery. Season with salt pepper and Bell's poultry seasoning. Cook on top of the stove until the mixture is no longer pink and then add a cup or two of water or chicken stock. Cover and put into a 325 oven for an hour and a half to two hours, until the liquid is almost gone. The secret is the low slow cooking to break down and dissolve the connective tissue.

This mixture is great piled into a hoagie roll and splashed with some hot sauce. I first had this years ago at a local clam bake. It was one of the most popular items.

I suppose instead of a roll you could use taco shells and make gizzard tacos!
Old 03-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
Master Chef

Please explain to me the KFC gizzard experience, as I've never been to a KFC that offered them. If I know if they are breaded, battered, seasoned similarly to the chicken, or sauced, I may be able to duplicate them, and share what I learn.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
If you have a meat grinder you can grind them along with a couple of bell peppers, onions and celery. Season with salt pepper and Bell's poultry seasoning. Cook on top of the stove until the mixture is no longer pink and then add a cup or two of water or chicken stock. Cover and put into a 325 oven for an hour and a half to two hours, until the liquid is almost gone. The secret is the low slow cooking to break down and dissolve the connective tissue.

This mixture is great piled into a hoagie roll and splashed with some hot sauce. I first had this years ago at a local clam bake. It was one of the most popular items.

I suppose instead of a roll you could use taco shells and make gizzard tacos!

yumm! aunt bea, you have just made me ready to rush out and buy a meat grinder.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Please explain to me the KFC gizzard experience, as I've never been to a KFC that offered them. If I know if they are breaded, battered, seasoned similarly to the chicken, or sauced, I may be able to duplicate them, and share what I learn.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Gizzards and livers (with a few hearts thrown in) were an off menu item at KFC for years. They are gone from my local stores. I think they were prepared with the same breading and in the same oil as original.

Tags
cook