"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 03-31-2006, 10:05 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Chicken is slaughtered at a very young age now days, because of this the bone is not fully matured. When cooking the marrow is leached through the bone and causes what some believe to be bloody chicken. Once the meat reaches 180º internal or in this case falling off the bone there is no problem with the chicken being under cooked. We see this with smoked chicken all the time.

I don't see practices used raising chicken changing any time soon.
Jim

Old 03-31-2006, 10:06 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickell
Soak your chicken in cold salt water in the fridge overnight. The cold
water draws out the blood, works real well. Soaking also makes your
chicken real moist.

Brining like that doesn't draw blood out. You'd see it in the brine water afterwards if that were true. Brining draws the brine into the cells of the meat.

I saw the pics and that looks pretty normal to me too. Its some kind of reaction with heat and hemoglobin in the bones, I think.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:58 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Where are the pics frog? I cant find them they are not in your photo gallery
Old 03-31-2006, 07:24 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Same experience

I have asked on this site, wrote the producer of t he chickens an still I have the blood to contend with. I understand how upset you are. Being relat ed to farmers they often ttell me there is such mass production that the whole production line doesn't take the time to allow the blood to drain properly. If my relatives chop the heads off they don't clean them right away they let the chicken 'rest'. I also know that they electrocute the birds. I can honestly say that when I go to the farm and have to see the dead chicken there isn't any blood like in my store. I do get chance to go to Farmer's Market here and buy the chickens he has cleaned and have not really seen the blood. If anything really bothers me about chickens is not cooking them long enough. Only way to get around this is to raise your own and see what happens.

My relatives all have such different life than we do. Eat the fresh bacon and eggs almost everyday. I truly enjoy visiting them and seeing how things should be. Don't have everything but what they have is priceless! I think I saw that slogan on tv about something.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:11 PM   #15
Master Chef

My dad grew up on a farm, and had to help clean the chickens. For years, he talked about how he hated "grasshopper chickens".
I've had my share of home-farm raised chickens, and I have to tell you, I really like the modern "factory chickens" better. The free range chickens taste a little rank to me...kinda like grashoppers.

As far as the way the factories dispense the birds...I have never heard the electrocution thing, but maybe some places do that. I guess it would be more cost-effective than taking time to wring their necks or chop their heads off individually. Really, what's the difference?
Old 04-04-2006, 01:16 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Brining like that doesn't draw blood out. You'd see it in the brine water afterwards if that were true. Brining draws the brine into the cells of the meat.

I saw the pics and that looks pretty normal to me too. Its some kind of reaction with heat and hemoglobin in the bones, I think.
I do see the blood in the water after I let it soak and do not have bloody chicken, I have even soaked in butter milk and it works too.
I believe it is the cold liquid just like when you have blood on clothing you soak it is cold water and it will take out the blood. I don't think the salt in the water has anything to do with drawing the blood out, I only add it for flavor. Really works you should try it.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:29 PM   #17
Senior Cook

It is just the age of the chicken. Frying chickens are young

and the bones are softer so the marrow will come through. If you cooked a stewing chicken this would not happen.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Chicken bones are filled with blood because they are not bleeding out the chickens after slaughtering. We used to raise broilers and we always bled them out and there was no unappealing blood left in the bones to drain out into the meat. I don't know why more consumers don't complain about this problem.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #19
Executive Chef

I have seen this sometimes on chicken that I order in a restaurant, and it usually doesn't seem to be cooked well enough for my liking. I cook my chicken really long, until it's falling off the bone, and I don't see this at all. If I did, I wouldn't be eating as much chicken. I eat mostly thighs and drumsticks. The butcher at my grocery store said that people are all complaining about the bloody chicken.

Tags
None